Connecting a new shower to old tub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Robco

Reaction score
I've removed the old tub and want to build a shower pan on the slab foundation. I want to connect the new shower drain to the existing tub drain. The old drain is 1.5 inches and the p-trap is below ground level (there's a square cut out of the slab at the drain location). My question is since old drain is 1.5 inches and showers use 2.0 inch pipe, how can I do this without excavating the earth all along the pipe to reach a 2.0 line? I know reducing 2.0 to 1.5 is not a good idea but I'm at a loss now for ideas. thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You answered your own question, crack some concrete. You normally want the shower drain centered on the shower, too. Unless you are rearranging the location of the new shower relative to the existing tub drain, you need that moved as well. If you have to get the place inspected and permitted (and if you have the house inspected as part of an eventual sale), you'll need the 2" line anyways. My unprofessional experience.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can buy or rent a small rotary hammer that will make short work of the concrete. Break it out and do the job right. Sorry, no shortcuts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks