Connecting 1 1/2 PVC to hub

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hassle is that every foundry that makes CI only has to standardize on the ID of the main pipe...the size and shape of the hub can, and does vary. One of the major makers of the 'donuts' is Fernco, and if you go to their website, you'll find LOTS of different versions to account for those different sized hubs. The local supply shop may not have the one you need. Too big, it will compress the pvc pipe too much, and it won't likely be able to be inserted with the pipe...too small, and it will leak. Just like Goldilocks...it has to be just right. Modern PVC/ABS, etc. IS pretty standard, so the ID's sealing surface to the new pipe is fine, it's just getting it the right thickness to allow insertion and enough compression to seal well.

With the right tool, inserting the pvc into the leaded joint, then compressing it with the calking tool, MIGHT make it seal, but it won't be as tight as a properly fitted donut. Depends on the state of the oakum beneath the lead.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
It appears that you took out the pipe and the lead is still in place, and then you inserted the
new i 1/2 pipe down into it... If thelead is still there all you need to do is just caulk it down into place and it will tighten down to the pipe ...... which is a fair seal,, Then I would get some clear silicone and simply add about a half inch on top of the lead

it will work fine....for about 40 years

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Perhaps I am mistaken about what I am looking at.... maybe there is still a steel
pipe down in that lead hub that will need to come out.... It looked like you had
insterted the pvc all the way down into the hub....

You can get a sawzall with
a steel cutting blade and saw that mess out, or you can melt it out with a torch....

Graham Johnson

Reaction score
Finished product. Recalked the lead then covered in silicone. Then added a wye for clean out. Thanks again for all the tips.

Attachments

• IMG_2060.JPG
    IMG_2060.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 95
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks