Collapsed well repair

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Memo, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Memo

Memo New Member

I have a 38' well that recently has collapsed. Inside the well casing I have water at about 7' and sand at 8'. Inside the 2" galvanized pipe, I have water at 7' and sand at 15'. I replaced a 1/2 hp jet pump with a 1hp jet pump and it filled up with sand and seized the pump within a few minutes of operating. The hardware store opened up the pump and found the impelar area packed full of sand. I am thinking about pulling the pipe out and pounding a sandpoint down to about 20' and hook up the pump again. Will a sandpoint be sufficient to keep the sand out and still allow an adequate flow of water?
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

You have to get the screen of the sand point into a porous layer of soil, and the depth of the water table isn't necessarily where the porous soil is. A new point might also have to penetrate 38 feet deep.
  3. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

The old point and pipe are useless. It needs new everything, including location