Code compliant solution to relocate my drain&vent near the wall for their basement section?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mini Me

Reaction score
the above layout is what I have.
The grey pipe and the purple pipe are the vent and respective the soil drain
This is the new layout
EUMxb.png

And this is the proposed plumbing
I think that you can call the green pipe (to be installed) a dry vent

0rvUL3D.png

This is the overall picture
M4UM36V.png

-the idea is that I am reusing the old sink piping to create a dry vent there as replacement of the grey vent
-the yellow segment of the grey vent will be left in the ground and capped (to avoid breaking the floor) It could be used as clean out
-the green segments that go from the old sink vertical to the new sink might not be needed. This is pending that I decide where is the best place to connect the new sink drain in any of the points 1,2,3 in the below picture
NYm2W.png

there is a niche behind the toilet, as deep as a stud width (3.5) because there is no framing behind the toilet just sheet insulation and drywall

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
providing Canada allows using the vent for toilet below to serve as waste line for floor above you are good.

Mini Me

Reaction score
to be honest with you I don't really care what Canada allows or not
As engineer (and DIYer) I would accept anything that follows and complies with the natural laws of the physics :))

Mini Me

Reaction score
final diagram, I think I am going to build the green path only as it requires the least amount of work
Not sure if I can slope it enough but I d no see how water can get in that horizontal green segment that goes around the soil stack

VMDhAOw.png

Mini Me

Reaction score
So it seems that the grey pipe was for a sink that was there three generations of owners ago when this was a two pieces bathroom
Later on they moved the sink and added a tub making it a three piece bathroom (sink, bath tub and toilet)
So that could have been wet vent for the toilet.
I do not see much difference between that(grey yellow pipe) being wet vent for the basement toilet and having a dry vent via the vertical green pipe that goes all the way to the floor (where the existing sink is)

Mini Me

Reaction score
After removing the toilet sit I had a look down the toilet drain and to my surprise I found that the actual connections are like this
Basically the toilet was wet vented from the grey pipe which long time ago for its bottom part it served as a drain for the sink that was there
like below I am actually not sure if the yellow segment was there to vent the toilet or to drain the sink which probably couldn't be connected to the soil stack horizontally

So no my problem becomes: how do I turn that drain toward the wall

TBCeRf7.png

pacwmVG.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you could try capping off and see if everything still works good. the dark grey you wanted to eliminate .
That looks pretty much how you thought. Your good with the waste just the vents gotta move right? I know your trying to not do any concrete removal

Mini Me

Reaction score
yes I just want to move the vent (that takes away half of the wall)
the soil stack pipe will be covered and I will create some shelves between what covers the pipe and the wall ...that will still let the light in and give the impression of more space in the room than before (when I had a wall there)

As far as I could read in order for the toilet to need a vent in that position it needs to be 6' away from the main stack in order to need a vent
Apparently the grey pipe was there just to drain the sink that used to be there. When they removed the sink they just left the vent there because they did not need it anywhere else

The existing sink and tub are under 6' also (the white pipe) . Just to be sure I will build a dry vent there (green pipe) that will also drain the vent stack in case any water gets in (can't figure out how)

I still have to break the floor to connect the new sink (red line in post #24 here in this thread)

thanks for confirming my guess!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
minime 2 posts going on this ! any progress yet? might be able to combine the picture above I didnt see on your other thread. Hope fully Wayne, reach 4, and james helped.

Mini Me

Reaction score
two different things
removing the grey vertical pipe (useless extension of an old vent)
relocating a sink but still reusing the old piping for it

Mini Me

Reaction score
I am considering running the vanity drain along the walls, it will minimize breaking the floor.
Any cons against this ?
The red line is an alternative that will reduce the number of studs I have traverse on the horizontal
Just above the red line on the vertical I will have the shower panel so I have to see if it can be done that way
I have ordered this shower
https://www.bathdepot.ca/thermostatic-stainless-steel-shower-column-sh-pn-7142bn.html

Shower pane is 30" wide see the third picture in this post

ufeOQbe.png

oimGG5c.jpeg

XlEWtlm.png

sQRhVFX.png

Last edited:

Mini Me

Reaction score
I don't mind running the upper part of the vents on the wall with the shower head

Last edited:

Mini Me

Reaction score
OK here is the final design including the replacement of the grey vent that I wanted so much to remove
I will build the green segments during the basement bathroom renovation and I will leave myself a handover point at the bottom side
of the orange pipe. That is where I will start building the orange vent path that will complete the design
This will be done next after I finish downstairs, as the main floor washroom is next
gJYGFwX.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK here is the final design including the replacement of the grey vent that I wanted so much to remove
I will build the green segments during the basement bathroom renovation and I will leave myself a handover point at the bottom side
of the orange pipe. That is where I will start building the orange vent path that will complete the design
This will be done next after I finish downstairs, as the main floor washroom is next
gJYGFwX.png
Thatll probebly work fine. cant say from first hand experiance because I wouldnt do it that way but I think it will be ok. It will vent right through the stack. not legal here .

Mini Me

Reaction score
I think you need to see if from another agle; I am not following you when you are saying "it will vent right through the stac"
How else would you have done it
My constraint was to reuse the existing piping and to try not to break the floor

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hard to articulate how I would have plumbed it originaly . but If I had plumbed it as drawn. then removing the vent would not be a legal option. It might work ok though Ive just never tried that befor . we would call it verticle wet venting bettween 2 floors and not permited here Ive never tried it. dont know if its done other places

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks