Closet bend or 90° elbow

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by pmfleisch, Jul 28, 2013.

1. pmfleisch

pmfleisch New Member

Maybe a silly question here, what's the difference between a closet bend and 90° elbow?

I know you can get a street variety, or a reducer, but if I'm staying at 4 inches are they the same thing?
  2. asktom

asktom Member

In plastic they are the same, in cast iron they are different.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A "true" closet bend has sharp 90 degree turn, while an elbow has a longer radius turn. in other words, if you put a closet bend 4" under the floor, you have a 4" straight stub to work with. If you do that with an elbow, you might not have ANY riser to work with.
  4. DavidTu

DavidTu Member

But... just want to be sure there is no requirement to use a closet bend nor a prohibition from using a 90-degree turn fitting? I am running 4" cast iron under the joists in a soffit--so there is room for a 90-elbow, a short sweep (CI), or perhaps a long sweep. Am I free to use any of these or is there some other code that comes into play--I read on another forum something about a 12" drop not being allowed under a WC??

Thanks.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IF you have the room, either one is permissible. I prefer the closet bend because it is "tighter".