Closet bend or 90° elbow

Users who are viewing this thread

pmfleisch

Reaction score
Maybe a silly question here, what's the difference between a closet bend and 90° elbow?

I know you can get a street variety, or a reducer, but if I'm staying at 4 inches are they the same thing?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A "true" closet bend has sharp 90 degree turn, while an elbow has a longer radius turn. in other words, if you put a closet bend 4" under the floor, you have a 4" straight stub to work with. If you do that with an elbow, you might not have ANY riser to work with.

DavidTu

Reaction score
But... just want to be sure there is no requirement to use a closet bend nor a prohibition from using a 90-degree turn fitting? I am running 4" cast iron under the joists in a soffit--so there is room for a 90-elbow, a short sweep (CI), or perhaps a long sweep. Am I free to use any of these or is there some other code that comes into play--I read on another forum something about a 12" drop not being allowed under a WC??

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks