Cleanout under lavatory, how to?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by waltsyd, Dec 20, 2012.

1. waltsyd

waltsyd New Member

I've never seen a cleanout under a lavatory sink but now I have to put one in on a bathroom addition. It's a 2" waste and vent (needed to boost total area of VTR) that has a big change of direction before tying into the main drain.

So I gather the cleanout t sits just above the trap san t. It seems like it's gonna be pretty cramped in there if anyone ever needs to use that cleanout. I'm not even sure it will have the requisite 12" clearance. Do I aim it a bit to the side? Should the waste san t be set lower down? Any other tips?
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

A cleanout can be installed above or below the sani-tee. If you are going to put in a pedestal sink, you might want to skip it. It's not usually that big of a deal to remove the tubular trap and trap arm and just snake through the sani-tee.
  3. waltsyd

waltsyd New Member

It will be a standard 18 inch sink in an 18 inch vanity with doors. I like the idea of being able to put water into the drain while rodding by having a separate cleanout t, but if it's allowed, I think I'll just use the trap san t as the cleanout. Anyone had an inspector dislike that?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; If you are going to put in a pedestal sink, you might want to skip it. It's not usually that big of a deal to remove the tubular trap and trap arm and just snake through the sani-tee.

That sounds like someone who has NEVER had to take a pedestal trap apart. Nomally, the space is so compact that you do NOT toubh the trap unless it is absolutely necessary. In this area, the inspectors do NOT consider a "trap" to be an appropriate cleanout option.
  5. waltsyd

waltsyd New Member

So what do you do to put a cleanout in there since your area doesn't allow the trap as a cleanout? Above the p-trap, below (sounds odd to me), to the side, what? It's a vanity, not a pedestal.
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Put it where it will be the easiest to open up and run a snake down.