clean out valve disaster!!! help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

k_mart_kmm

Reaction score
I am in the middle of remodeling a home that me and my children just moved into and i have found that the clean out valve is leaking everything from the sewer to the sinks...even when I wash clothes the water pours from the side of the house. I do not know why there is not a cap on the valve but im not sure at this point a cap is the answer. if i replace the cap with I have back up inside the house? Or is the missing cap the answer?:eek:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
You should not have a backup unless the sewer line from the house to the utility or septic is clogged.

k_mart_kmm

Reaction score
So does this mean that placing a cap on will not send the waste into my house? I lived in this house a few years ago and never noticed the clean out so I dont know if there was a cap on there or not. I do in fact know that now there is no cap. If I have the choice right now to have it inside or out however I want it outside! thanks for the response!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe what Florida Orange is trying to point out is that your drain line is clogged. You need to call a plumber to auger the line. The back up should not be coming out of the clean out, so you do have that as a problem as well, but if the back up was not coming out of the clean out, then it would be backing up into your house.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

The water has one of two places to go. Right now, the cleanout opening is the lowest one so that is where the water is draining. IF you close it, then the water has to find the NEXT lowest point which will be a bathtub, shower, toilet, or sink depending on where the stoppage is. When that happens the house will be flooded. Call a plumber to clear the line and cap the cleanout.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
DIY snaking seldom works on major drain clogs. It usually requires industrial sized, pro equipment with a professional operator to clear the clog. In fact, DIY snakes often push the clog deeper and compact it tighter which makes the situation worse.