Clean my well water!!

Users who are viewing this thread

ddeblance

Reaction score
Ok, I've been reading on here about filters and softeners and done a little research online, but I'm needing some other opinions on this issue.
Right not I have the typical build-up on the shower heads and faucet screens. The white stuff that I take vinigar or CLR to....
But now I've been into the pipe near the tank and I noticed a thin layer of white chaulky stuff laying in the pipe. I flushed my tank, three times, after I made my repairs, but now I'm wondering about what that's doing inside my house. My water heaters 10 years old...... Probably full of that stuff!! Right!!?? So what do I do???

Recommendations!! Please!!

-DD

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
If your heater is 10 years old, my recommendation is do nothing...
Generally you should flush the tank once/year minimum but, after 10 years, chances are the valve at the bottom (drain/flushing valve) will clog, jam or snap off. Right now, if it ain't broke, don't fix it....
When you do have to replace the heater, at that point ensure your tank gets flushed regularly....

ddeblance

Reaction score
I did flush it a couple of times during the ten years, but now I'm scared to touch the drain valve..lol.. My problem is the WH is in a closet in my utility room in a mobile home.... If I wait for it to fail won't it leak?? What's the normal life on a water heater connected to well water??

-DD

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to get a complete water analysis done. That scale that you see is most likely calcium and magnesium depsosits. It will especially build up in the hot water system because of the hardness precipitation when the water is heated. I would suggest that you go to your local water analysis lab and get some sample bottles,instructions on how to take the sample,and submit it to the lab. Once you get the results i would consult with a reputable treatment company on water treatment. You most likely need a good size softening unit.

SAM

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks