Clawfoot Rough-in + Wall Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Shaklee3

Reaction score
Hi, I decided to make a new thread since these questions are unrelated to the tub drain slope.

Question 1: I have a clawfoot tub with overflow drain that I'm installing where there used to be an alcove tub. A picture is attached of the current p-trap from the previous tub. The rough-in appears to be different than the alcove in that there's no threaded ABS drain piece, and instead they just show the drain going straight into the trap inlet. Does that mean my rough-in should just go completely vertically from the p-trap shown in my drawing straight through the subfloor with a 1.5" pipe, and just cut it to size when I get the tub parts? I don't see how it makes a seal with the floor drain in their instructions.

Question 2: My in-wall valve has a brass fitting with an O-ring that is tightened with the large nut in the picture shown. These will go down to the copper supply lines. Is the proper way to use the brass fitting as-is and use the o-ring for leak protection, and the NPT fitting use PTFE+dope to seal that, then solder the rest on? Is there a better way for this type of valve? Thanks!

PXL_20210313_181328108.jpg

Capture.PNG
PXL_20210313_182533360.jpg
Capture2.PNG

Last edited:

Shaklee3

Reaction score
1. Yes 2. Can't make a determination from that picture.

Thanks for responding James Henry. I attached two more pictures of the fittings with annotations. The one without writing is what the fitting looks like from the manufacturer. The other picture has red arrows showing what I think I need on all the fittings, but wasn't sure if there's a better way given that it goes to copper in the subfloor. My main concern was the PTFE+dope connection since this will be sealed away inside of a wall, I wanted to make sure that's enough for a good, long seal. Since I need the pipes to spread somewhat apart to be at the proper width for the valve, is simply doing a copper to PEX conversion in the subfloor a better option? That way I could go pex to a brass male fitting instead of copper in the picture.

PXL_20210314_014143620.jpg
PXL_20210314_014210974.jpg

Last edited:

Shaklee3

Reaction score
Hi, I think I got the second question completely resolved, but the first I have another question about. I just got the tub today, and the visible drain parts are all metal. This will connect to the ABS drain under the subfloor. What is the usual method for connecting this ABS to the metal? Just use a fernco coupling right below the subfloor, or is there a better way?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks