Clawfoot drain issue / question (with bonus dog advice)

Users who are viewing this thread

Sirdeaver

Reaction score
Hi!
Here is my issue. I have a 1.5 inch chrome waste pipe coming out of my floor. I got a new plumbing kit for the clawfoot tub, and figured the tee would have a nice deep slip fitting to slide right over it. Nope. It has a threaded fitting for the tailpiece that is included in the kit.. but isn't really designed for just a slip fitting on that lower side. So now I'm contemplating how I can make this work.

I only have about 2 5/8" to work with from the bottom of the horizontal drain pipe to the floor. If I use the included (pictured) tee, I only have 1 5/8" between that lower nut and the floor. Not enough space for a slip coupling... shortest I've seen is 2". Flex Coupling perhaps? (and then try to find a chrome cover for it.) Other thought was trying to find a different tee to use that has a deeper slip slot on the bottom... see some that are slip connections on all three sides, but only allow about 1/2" of pipe to slip in - meaning I have to be exact. Would love to find a slip tee with DEEP slip clearances - like 1" or more. Ever seen one? The top of this clawfoot kit tee has a 2.5" slip slot and the side a 1".. why the heck not the bottom. Maybe I just need to look for a different kit.

Other Thoughts? THANK YOU for reading!

20220117_161222.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The bottom of the tee works with the slip joint nut and slip joint washer. You may be able to make a clean cut on the tubular from the floor and use the nut and washer for the tee connection.

Do you have access to the tubular below the floor where it's connected?

Sirdeaver

Reaction score
The bottom of the tee works with the slip joint nut and slip joint washer. You may be able to make a clean cut on the tubular from the floor and use the nut and washer for the tee connection.

Do you have access to the tubular below the floor where it's connected?
Thanks for reading, Terry.
No, No access at this point unless I tear into the kitchen ceiling.
And there doesn't seem to be any slip depth on the bottom. The smooth part shown in the picture is much wider than the 1.5" pipe - where the washer goes I do believe - and the pipe won't slip past where the threads are. I did just try it.. hand tight only.. and it seems... okish, but wiggles... and oh man, talk about having to be exact in my cutting. oh boy!
Other thoughts?
THANKS!
20220117_164013_HDR.jpg

Sirdeaver

Reaction score
Hi!
Here is my issue. I have a 1.5 inch chrome waste pipe coming out of my floor. I got a new plumbing kit for the clawfoot tub, and figured the tee would have a nice deep slip fitting to slide right over it. Nope. It has a threaded fitting for the tailpiece that is included in the kit.. but isn't really designed for just a slip fitting on that lower side. So now I'm contemplating how I can make this work.

I only have about 2 5/8" to work with from the bottom of the horizontal drain pipe to the floor. If I use the included (pictured) tee, I only have 1 5/8" between that lower nut and the floor. Not enough space for a slip coupling... shortest I've seen is 2". Flex Coupling perhaps? (and then try to find a chrome cover for it.) Other thought was trying to find a different tee to use that has a deeper slip slot on the bottom... see some that are slip connections on all three sides, but only allow about 1/2" of pipe to slip in - meaning I have to be exact. Would love to find a slip tee with DEEP slip clearances - like 1" or more. Ever seen one? The top of this clawfoot kit tee has a 2.5" slip slot and the side a 1".. why the heck not the bottom. Maybe I just need to look for a different kit.

View attachment 80109

Piece of advice for you all - don't leave your rubber washers on the floor while you're in the other room on the computer trying to find solutions when you have a puppy in the house!! One more thing to fix. *Sigh*

20220117_172007_HDR.jpg

Sirdeaver

Reaction score
Hi!

View attachment 80109
Wanted to follow up and let you know what we ended up doing. We ended up grinding down the treads in the T fitting so we had another half inch of space to slip the drain from the floor in. And then measured very carefully. ;-) Result - It works!

20220129_120010_HDR.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks