Clack WS! settings questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Datarock

Reaction score
Hey everyone. The wife moved before I did (had to finish out work) and the water softener was installed before I arrived. Now that I am here I have looked over the settings and want to ensure the brilliant minds of the terrylove forums agree they are the "ideal" settings.

I have not completed a water test but the annual report stated that the water in this area had hardness around 20 gpg.
I am not positive on how large the mineral tank is though. The measurements I took are approx 55" tall and 9" wide. I also took a few photos for you all.

It is only my wife and I and according to two months of water bill service we hover around 3000 gallons a month. (We have solar panels and try to be eco friendly so everything is low pressure faucets/showerheads etc.)

Here are the settings that the installer programmed into the unit.

Days between Regen-13

Energy Saver-On

Water Hardness 20GR

Softening DN Pre-Set TYPE

Fill-Set 12.0LBS

Softening Time-Set 240:00

Backwash Time-Set 8:00 Min

Draw On Time SET 60:00 Min

Backwash Time-Set 8:00 Min

Grains of Capacity-Set 33.0 x1k (I thought I had a 36k unit but maybe not)

Gallons Capacity-Set Auto

Delayed-Set Regen

Off-Set Relay 1

Off-Set Relay 2

That should be it.
Please let me know if you need any other information from me.
Thanks so much everyone,
Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Ron,

Welcome to the forum.

The media tank size you mention seems a bit off. 9" X 48" (1 cu/ft) and 10" X 54" (1.5 cu/ft) tanks are common while 9" X 55" is not.

One cu/ft of resin has a capacity of 32,000 grains (closer to 30,000 in actual practice). While 1.5 cu/ft softeners are commonly offered, I have seen a few companies selling 1.25 cu/ft units. What is the size of softener that you purchased? It should be stated on your purchase invoice.

Does your water report indicate an amount for iron or manganese in your water?

You said that hardness is AROUND 20. Does that mean hardness is actually sometimes higher than 20?

What regenerant are you using? Sodium chloride or Potassium chloride?

What is the blue object which is located behind the resin tank? Is that a filter of some sort? If so, what is it intended to remove from the water?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
One small comment: "Days between Regen-13" is going to be an upper limit that would only be a factor if you had not used enough water to otherwise warrant a regeneration first.

Datarock

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Bannerman,

I can remeasure. On the height how far up do I go? Do I stop at the point before it comes in to create the opening or do I include the opening.

In terms of the water report I don't see a slot dedicated to Iron.
Perhaps it's mixed in with another category?

http://www.saws.org/Your_Water/WaterQuality/Report/docs/2014_MeadowWoodAcresTX0150072.pdf

According to Saws our supplier the water hardness is between 15-20.

Sodium Chloride. The yellow bag in the photo. Not sure of the brand.

That is a big blue water filter. 4.5x20. Using a Pentek RFC20-BB filter. I had it installed to improve taste, remove chlorine etc. It was not needed or installed for the softener but it does benefit the softener from what I understand with less wear and tear etc.

Reach4-
In terms of the 13 days. We have never used so much water that the unit forces a recharge. For instance on the first day after regen it comes up with 1500 Gallons before recharge. Typically it is around 300 or so when the 13 days is up and it then regens due to time. I am also not sure if this is proper or not.
Thank you both,
Ron

Reach4

Reaction score
After the the new measurement, you will know how much resin you have. If you have 1 cubic foot of resin, 6 pounds of salt would be more economical. In that case, you would reduce the claimed capacity to 20,000 but you will be using half as much salt per regen.

Your water report states 236 ppm hardness. That would be a little under 14 grains.

I don't know what "Softening Time-Set 240:00" is. I don't know the WS-1, but I am not not able to guess what that means... time of day 2:40 am to regen would make sense. If it the elapsed time for a regen, it seems too long.

How are you measuring the diameter? You can use a tape measure to get circumference and divide by pi. Or you can use a big caliper, which fewer people have.

I am not sure this diagram is totally right, but I expect it is:

soft-tank.jpg

Last edited:

Datarock

Reaction score
So the tank is 10x54.

As far as the timing. There is another option which sets the time (1:00AM) that I did not add on the original post as I knew what that was for. So I assume that is the amount of time for softening.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
So 1.5 cubic feet of resin.
While I have not worked with your softener, based on things, I would change
Fill-Set 9.0LBS
Capacity 30,000
Hardness 14 assuming your report is right. (get a hardness measuring kit to check)
Days between Regen-21 with your chlorinated water, but this may be controversial.

Your initial settings are not really wrong except maybe hardness. (Maybe the installer measured, and the water company report is off.) But this salt setting will be more salt-efficient.

You could wait until somebody familiar with your controller to look settings over.

Datarock

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies!!!!

So question,
If I have a 10x54 tank or 48K grain. Why not have that has the grain. Or am I thinking too literal. I assume you lower that number for efficiency purposes?

Datarock

Reaction score
So why would you change it to 9lbs and capacity 30 not 6lbs capacity 30 as per the chart? (Just curios)

Reach4

Reaction score
So why would you change it to 9lbs and capacity 30 not 6lbs capacity 30 as per the chart? (Just curios)
I assume you have a 1.5 cubic foot resin. To get 6 pounds of salt per cubic feet, that would be 9 pounds.

Instead of 20,000 grains that you would have with 6 pounds of salt for 1 cuft, you would have 1.5 times that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks