circut breaker tripping need help!!

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by michael1121, Jul 20, 2009.

1. michael1121

michael1121 New Member

Was having trouble with water pressure at faucets so I checked the tank pressure and it seemed low. Determined it was a bladderless tank and added pressure. This problem occurred more than once. Woke to no pressure and tried to determine the cause. Then the breaker began tripping as soon as I turn on the pump switch. I replace the control box after reading about it being the likely cause. After installing the new box I turned reset the breaker and again the circut tripped. What should I do next or what are possible senarios
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Assuming all you did is correct...it could be a short or a bad pump...
  3. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

Or a bad breaker or a bad connection to the breaker.
    I'd invest in a clamp-on ammeter so you can measure the current going through the breaker. It'll pay for itself quickly.
  4. upper

upper DIY Senior Member

If you can not pull your own pump,now is the time to call a pump guy....Upper
  5. michael1121

michael1121 New Member

thanks for the advice

When I was connecting the new control box, I noticed the red wire had some spots where the wire was visible. Could that be the source of the short!?! I will consider getting the meter to see what is flowing through the wires. Could a defective pressure switch cause the fuse to blow? Again, thanks for the help.
  6. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Circuit breaker tripping

One quick check would be your connections in the wiring. Sometimes in a repair you may have loosened a connection and vibration is causing the loos connection to spark and those trip the breaker.

Check that all your connections are tight and the copper is in good condition.

Sometimes it's just that.

We had a floor heat thermostat that was tripping all the time and it turn out to be one loose wire that vibrated when the kids ran down the stairs.
  7. michael1121

michael1121 New Member

Many thanks

Will check connections for loose wires and the bare copper wire I mentioned in the last post. Thank you for you imput and Love for this wonderful forum...I have learned sooo much!!