choosing correct pump

Users who are viewing this thread

scm37

Reaction score
Hi,
I was redirected to this forum by someone in the pumps tanks forum. I need to pump water from the deep end(approx 6 ft) of a swimming pool, up a pillar to the ceiling, across the ceiling and up to the 2nd floor to an HVAC unit that uses water to cool the freon in a coil. After the coil, it exits thru pipe and simply spills back to surface of pool to dissipate heat. Can anyone thell me what kind of pump I should use, I also want to use an energy efficient pump. The current configuration uses the 1.5 hp pool pump and it has to run 24/7 using too much power.!
Thanks, Steve

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To evaluate that, would need the following info: total lift, total gpm required, size of pipe, and, where you can place the pump. I would assume you don't want it submerged in the pool, but if there were a pit outside of the pool so priming the thing wouldn't be a problem, that would help, too.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
As for total lift, I think the suction from the water falling back down will almost cancel out the lift.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF the loop is closed, then yes, the falling water will help the rising water. I got the impression (maybe wrong) that it essentially sprayed over the coil, went to a drain pan, and then returned, thus, there's no closed loop at least from the water's perspective.

scm37

Reaction score
closed/open loop.

Hi,
Thanks for all the responses, this is great!!!. It would be considered a closep loop. I guess. The HVAC unit is built for hi-rise condo's using two separate coils built into it for water. One coil is for cold water to cool the freon for cold air. the other coil is for hot water for heat int the winter that comes from the water heater. The house pump supplies that. So, the water comes from the pool and goes back to the pool in a pipe. This system already existed when we moved in. Never saw anything like it. Previous owner was a DIY'er. The coils inside the unit are 3/4" with 3/4" lines running to it. The pool pump currently supplies water, problem is, the pool was built without a bottom drain, so the skimmer is where the pump draws the water from and then it goes back to the surface of the pool. I want to get the water from the bottom of the pool, where it is cooler. I also want to use a pump that is energy efficient.
Thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
As far as I know, a submersible is twice as efficient as a jet pump. Might not suit the aesthetics though but then I don't know how you were planning to plumb in whatever pump you choose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks