Chicago plumbing codes regarding dmv drain pipes using PVC as of 2010

Users who are viewing this thread

agent99

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered before. I have been searching. I was under the impression that in Chicago, they only allowed for PVC in residential use, 3 stories or less, and that copper, galvanized, and cast iron had to be used above grade and only cast iron below grade for non-residential use.

I just came across a post on the web stating that PVC can now be used for ALL drain above and below grade, but cast iron still must be used under ground. Hopefully a licensed plumber can confirm this? Is this a recent code change(when?) and does it in fact apply to commercial properties?

The plumbing union has had strong clout in Chicago and has been against PVC vs other cities, mostly due to the ease of use, less cost, and loss of business, so I am surprised if this is true. I was about to pay a very steep price to replace a very long run of drain cast iron pipes that run above basement ground, so I am praying this is true!

Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
PVC is only allowed in above ground residential applications 3 stories or less. PVC undergrounds are not allowed in Chicago.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Just to add to this PVC is allowed for 3 stories or less, and or three family or less buildings. So if the building is two stories but has 4 family units, PVC is then not allowed. Also PVC underground is still not allowed in Chicago.

PixieFix

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity and because I like being able to cite my references and also because I have a hard time finding specific info in the Illinois/Chicago plumbing code :(, could you/anyone post which part of the Illinois or Chicago plumbing code states that PVC is allowed for 3 stories or less, etc.?

Title x Chapter X Subchapter X Part X Supbpart X Section X Item X?

Thank you.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Just out of curiosity and because I like being able to cite my references and also because I have a hard time finding specific info in the Illinois/Chicago plumbing code :(, could you/anyone post which part of the Illinois or Chicago plumbing code states that PVC is allowed for 3 stories or less, etc.?

Title x Chapter X Subchapter X Part X Supbpart X Section X Item X?

Thank you.

Here you can purchase a Chicago Plumbing code book, and then you can cite the title, chapter verse, and such yourself. https://www.lawbulletin.com/real-estate/index-publishing/chicago-plumbing-code

PixieFix

Reaction score
Here you can purchase a Chicago Plumbing code book, and then you can cite the title, chapter verse, and such yourself. https://www.lawbulletin.com/real-estate/index-publishing/chicago-plumbing-code

The chapters (18-29) in the Chicago Municipal Code that pertain to plumbing are here, free of charge - http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Illinois/chicago_il/municipalcodeofchicago?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:chicago_il. That is a link from the City of Chicago official website. Why did you have to cite a website where forum members have to pay for information that's publicly available?

When I asked the question in my first post, I asked not because I didn't know where to find the plumbing code. I asked because as I mentioned "I have a hard time finding specific info in the Illinois/Chicago plumbing code."

I am not a plumber. I am just a homeowner who wants to make sure that anything done to my home is up to code and that I understand what is up to code. I assumed that plumbers in this forum are more knowledgeable than I am about plumbing and can actually pinpoint where the "rule/requirement" is in the code (after all, you do have to take your exam regularly). Plumbers that I encounter (in person) would usually say "you have to use/do XYZ because the code requires it but not one plumber can point to the written rule/requirement." I often wonder about this. Why not be able to cite the rule/requirement so that the client can look it up himself and confirm? And I would expect that clients would confirm because it is not at all uncommon for one plumber to say that the client should use/do XYZ to be up to code while another plumber would say "no, that plumber is wrong. You should use/do ABC."

Sigh. I supposed I'm not used to being expected to take a plumber's word for it without being able to confirm the information provided. Why is it that in science, when we do presentations (whether written or oral), every statement has to be confirmed and supported? We have to cite the specific study, the author and even the page of the publication where the study was published. In the plumbing world, a plumber makes a statement and we can't ask for the specific source/citation?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
PixieFix, SewerRatz is one of the few regular Chicago plumbers on the board, and his post was intended to help you. I'm willing to bet that he bought a hard copy of the code book from the city many years ago, and does not have much of a need to reference it on the internet.

I don't know many trademan that goes around citing the xyz of the codebook. Most of them learn what they need to do in the field and would never look at a code book unless they were studying to pass a test.

Most of don't remember what we read last week, but we can remember what we did 10 years ago, and how we did it.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I posted a link to were to buy cause that is where to get the most up to date code. I buy a new code book every few years to keep up with Chicago's changes to the code. Also the link you posted does not list the Chicago Plumbing Code in its entirety. The only way to see all of the Chicago Plumbing Code is to buy it from the source I linked to which is the only endorsed by the City of Chicago to get the code book from.

Thank you Cacher_Chick

marie

SocalMom
Reaction score
Hi there,

SewerRatz, I am assuming that there have been no changes in Chicago to allow for sink ptraps to be made of PVC? Is that assumption correct?

Thanks!

Jacob M

Reaction score
PVC is only allowed in above ground drain systems for residential occupancies three stories or less.

See chicago municipal code 18-29-702 for Drainage systems and Table 18-29-702.2 for allowed materials. PVC is not allowed in supply lines except for secondary water in process uses (i.e. nothing a person will interact with on a normal basis) - See 18-29-605.5

Chicago code is available to view at http://www.amlegal.com/library/il/chicago.shtml

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks