Cherney 2 " test ball shower liner leak test

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Emil Volk, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Emil Volk

Emil Volk New Member

I am going to perform a leak test on a shower liner with the 2" Cherney test ball. First you place the deflated ball up in the shower drainpipe. Then the pump is used to inflate the ball.

Can anyone tell me whether water is then added to the shower liner and the inflated ball remains connected to the pump underwater or after pumping the ball up is the pump first disconnected? Then the water in run into the shower liner.

EMIL
  2. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

Disconnect the pump after inflating the ball. Many air pumps will leak a little
    back through the check valve.
  3. liquidplumber

liquidplumber In the Trades

I would think that you would want to disconnect the pump so you could be sure it wasnt causing the ball to leak down slowly. use some spit on the valve to make sure the ball isnt slowly leaking. spit bubbles will show you a leak. Test your liner in whatever fashion you normally would.
  4. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

Disconnect the pump from the test ball underwater. If the schrader valve is leaking it will bubble.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

As long as you disconnect the pump from the hose, and do it quickly or the ball will deflate on you, it makes no difference whether it is done before or after the water is placed in the liner.