Check valves what ones work the best?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Rod M1, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Rod M1

Rod M1 New Member

I'm going to install a shallow well jet pump and looking for a check valve the spring presser on most are very light maybe 1 pound. The plumbing store sells a 5lb check valve that is PVC instead of brass for much higher cost are these the way to go?
  2. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

I like my footvalves/check valves to be brass. I have never had much luck with platic valves.

I think the Flowmatic brand is #1 with Simmons #2. Both are made in the USA to my knowledge. Also you can get them in stainless now for some applications.

You don't need a high spring pressure, the PSI of the water is all the pressure you need.
  3. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Pressure closes the check valve. The spring has little to do with making a good check valve. You certainly don’t want a check with a heavy spring on the suction side of the pump (too much restriction). You could get away with it in the discharge side, but it is not needed.

Repeatedly slamming a check valve closed, caused by cycling the pump on and off, can destroy even the best check valve. Reducing or eliminating pump cycling can even make a cheap check valve last a long time.
  4. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Even a kid can look inside a typical spring loaded check valve and see a flat - usually plastic disc, with a spring behind it, and wonder, gee, how does water churn its way around that blockage. A ball cone check valve is like an airplane wing, and is a solid ball cone that takes a big beating without fail.

A good rule is step up one size also for your check valve. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/APOLLO-Spring-Check-Valve-1CKT9?Pid=search You can find these for less, surplus center has SS ones that I bought tons of, and have never had a failure in 20 years of installations.

And another- http://www.lakecountypipe.com/34-Apollo-Ball-Cone-Check-Valve-6110401-.aspx
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012