Check valve

Users who are viewing this thread

RobertN

Reaction score
I have a 600 foot submersible that pumps into a cistern at atmospheric pressure. It appears the check valve has gone bad, because I used to be able to lift the float switch to manually turn it on (just checking operation from time to time) and water usually starts flowing within 2 seconds; this time it didn't turn on. I go inside to grab my meter to check for voltage and I come back out about 5 minutes later and the water is flowing. My assumption is there is a check valve down at the pump that has probably failed. Now for my question: can I install a check valve at the surface? Would that be a decent band aid, as I do not possess the equipment nor skills to pull the pump out and replace the valve, nor do I want to pay to have it replaced when a 15 dollar check valve can be easily placed at the surface.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
NO a check valve above ground would cause a vacuum like your finger over a straw full of ice tea. Causes a major water hammer on pump start. if it is a bad check there is not problem except letting it run an extra 5 minutes to get water to the surface. Just don't restart the pump until it has had time to spin back all the way.

But if it is a hole in the drop pipe, it will probably get bigger and bigger until no water comes out anymore.

RobertN

Reaction score
Thank you Valveman. I didn't think about there being a hole in the drop pipe. I tested the flow, and I'm still getting 10 gpm like I always have. Is there any other way (besides a drop in flow) to tell if there is a hole in the drop pipe?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If there is no extra check valve above ground, you can see if the pressure drops even though no one is using water. That will tell you that either you have a hole in pipe or the check on the pump is leaking back. Other than that you won't know which it is until you pull it up and look.

RobertN

Reaction score
It is solely to fill a cistern, so there isn't any pressure on the pipe to determine if the pressure bleeds down; so I guess it will remain a mystery until either hole gets bigger or the pump fails. A boost pump with a CSV Provides the pressure! Thanks Valveman

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sorry I had already answered that, but didn't look up the page far enough to see what I said. No problem waiting 5 minutes for water to get there. Some people leave out the check on purpose so it all drains back and doesn't freeze. You just do not want to restart the pump until it has had time to finish spinning back or it will snap a shaft.

If it is a hole in the pipe it will probably start taking longer and longer as the hole get bigger. If this happens don't let it go too long because the hole will be right where the pipe screws to the pump, and you don't want the pump falling off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks