Changing well seals.

Users who are viewing this thread

petepdx

Reaction score
The top of my well pipe is a few inches below grade. Eventually I will consider having a section of pipe welded on to raise things up, and change to a pitless fitting.

I'm going to need to sterilize the well soon.

The current setup does not give me access. The pipe is 6" steel, and the seal has only a center hole & a hole for the power leads and is a single piece / not split.

Above the plate is a 1" galvanized tee.

I'm going to see if a local installer will rent me a well pipe clamp.

Then raise the pipe/pump a couple feet, remove the old seal and replace it with a new one and if I can get the old tee off, replace it if needed, and replace the very rusted M-NTP to PE Barb fitting.

One idea is to get a seal with two pipe holes. Making it easier to shock the well in the future.

Am I going in the right direction ?

-pete

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
No

Get your local guy to come in and do the whole job right the first time and be done with it.

Why?

1) Because well seals can be a pain in the butt to break loose and almost everyone wants to remove the bolts allowing the lower plates to drop and trap the pump, pipe and wire in the hole.

2) No local guy is going to rent his equipment out to a homeowner to do his own work, that's why we're here.

3) Weight, how deep is the well? Most people have no clue as to how much a pump with pipe full of water and wire actually weigh and how dangerous it can be if you get tangled in the wire as the pump falls in the well.

4) Old fittings & old pipe....What are you going to do if you drop everything in the well?

petepdx

Reaction score
No

Get your local guy to come in and do the whole job right the first time and be done with it.

Why?

1) Because well seals can be a pain in the butt to break loose and almost everyone wants to remove the bolts allowing the lower plates to drop and trap the pump, pipe and wire in the hole.

2) No local guy is going to rent his equipment out to a homeowner to do his own work, that's why we're here.

3) Weight, how deep is the well? Most people have no clue as to how much a pump with pipe full of water and wire actually weigh and how dangerous it can be if you get tangled in the wire as the pump falls in the well.

4) Old fittings & old pipe....What are you going to do if you drop everything in the well?

petepdx

Reaction score
No

Why?

I'm putting out some calls Monday. At least I've made it easier to get to. Going to see about what it would take to have a section of casing added.

http://goo.gl/fhiykD

My "local guy" is the outfit that did this "quality work". The person(s) who did the work may no longer be around but they would have to give me a good story why I should use them now.

The only thing I need to do with the well for now is to shock it.

-pete .. the saga continues

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Judging by the wire, that hasn't been apart in years.

If it has frozen, the best thing to do is dig a short trench a few feet deep now, dig out the box, raise the casing and install a pitless. In other words, upgrade it, new pump, pipe, wire....... Put the worry of your water supply behind you for 10-15 years.

petepdx

Reaction score
Wish I could at this time. My goal for now is to get potable and 'clear' water. When the property goes on the market in 2016/7 I will look at a new well. This year is a new Fleck etc. to dispose of the iron.

-pete

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks