cast vs abs

Users who are viewing this thread

Don Metzinger

Reaction score
I need to put a wye in a drain line for a clean out. The line is 4" hd cast and comes through the basement wall about 2' below the surface of the ground. I have dug down to the line just outside the wall and have several questions. Using fernco type connectors that are the shielded type I assume I can either go with a cast or abs wye. What would you suggest, any must do's or reasons for one over the other? This is in the Denver co area and we get freezing weather here and this line has never frozen up and has been in place around 60 years. Appreciate your advice. - Don

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
nohub.jpg

Drain lines do not freeze. The only time there is water in them is when they are actually draining and that water is not cold enough to freeze and it is moving. As far as ABS vs Cast Iron, ABS is much easier for a DIYer to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Metzinger

Reaction score
15 lbs ?

Couple of other questions. One of the els inside the house has "15 lbs " in raised letters on the side. Is this a designation for xh cast. Is that the weight per foot? All of the straight lenghts of the 4' cast have the xh designation on them. I am going to install the cleanout out side the basement wall where it is about 2' under the ground, can I just use a tee so that if a snake is used to clean the line it can be directed either back into the house or towards the city line? I saw a reference to a device that would allow the cable to be directed. At 2' or less I think it would be easy to send the cable which ever way. Surprising how good the cast looks for being 75 years old and in the ground for that long, tough stuff. Thanks - Don

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks