Cast Iron sanitary tee gone bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

HoracioO

Reaction score
Fixing a bad kitchen sink line... discovered that the horizontal pipe had rusted through the bottom where the thread entered the sanitary tee. so the thread on the tee is shot but of course I can't find any sort of no hub connector that fits over the 2 1/2 inch iron sanitary tee's thread. The pipes are not cast iron but galvanized (?) pipe.

Does such a beast exist? I really don't want to go into cutting out the sanitary tee, it is in pretty good shape, just a lot of rusting where the thread should be.

Any solution greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:

HoracioO

Reaction score
Chasing my tail...

After I posted I realized there was some thread left, wire-brushed it out and gooped up the joint with rectorseal. Got it in about 3/8 but sadly it drips at the bottom... I was using an ABS fitting, maybe I need to use a metal one?

Chasing the thread, but where would I find a chasing tap for 1 1/2 pipe? As a DIY I'm it is tough to find. Searching but to no avail.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
After I posted I realized there was some thread left, wire-brushed it out and gooped up the joint with rectorseal. Got it in about 3/8 but sadly it drips at the bottom... I was using an ABS fitting, maybe I need to use a metal one?

Chasing the thread, but where would I find a chasing tap for 1 1/2 pipe? As a DIY I'm it is tough to find. Searching but to no avail.

tool rental,can`t hurt to look,used to carry all sizes on my truck.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tap

You have two problems.
1. You have almost no chance of ever finding a 1 1/2" ips chasing tap.
2. The recess on the drainage fitting will prevent a regular tap from going in far enough to restore the thread.

You only real option may be to replace the tee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks