Carbon (wrap) Filter Cartridges whole house 10" Universal (OB1 U25 format)

Users who are viewing this thread

JMThomas

Reaction score
It seems time and the race to the bottom has knocked out what little quality/effectiveness these guys have. There are several brands at the big box stores, and every one I've tried recently looked identical, even the dissected spent cartridges.

The first OnmiFilter TO1 filters I bought 15 years ago, IIRC weren't the carbon paper roll and they lasted 6 to 9 month. Today's (after the technology change) lasts 1-2 months, and cost the same.

(My raw water quality hasn't changed, or so says the water company reports. 30g hardness, iron from the rusty distribution pipes)

My "system" is
  • a OmniFilter RS5 (5 micron Fine Sediment, Dirt, Sand, Rust Particles), then
  • a OmniFilter TO1 (5 Micron Fine Sediment, Dirt, Rust Particles, Chlorine Taste and Odor), then
  • a Waterboss 700 softener with built-in, self-cleaning whole-house filter.

1. Does brand name matter for the TO1 / WFPFC8002 / NCP-10 equivalent cartridge?

2. If I did some plumbing and replaced the U25 with something else, what should I look at?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know those filters, but are your cartridges one of these sizes?
5 x 2-1/2
9-3/4 x 2-3/4
10 x 2
10 x 2-1/4
10 x 2-1/2
10 x 4-1/2
10 x 5
14 x 2-1/2
20 x 2-1/2
20 x 4-1/2

Reach4

Reaction score
https://www.discountfilters.com/sediment-carbon-water-filters/dupont-wfpfc8002/p177725/ calls the wfpfc8002 a 2.5 x 10. You might look through http://www.discountfilterstore.com/whole-house-water-filtration/l/size-advertised/10-x-2-1-2.html to see if there are some other filters that interest you. They have a nice selection, and you can select features, such as micron size, in the left column. You might buy elsewhere. Pentek filters are what I have bought, but I am sure there are other good ones. I see Culligan offers elements too.

As for different construction, I use a DGD-5005-20 spun polypropylene (50...5 micron variable) in series with a polypropoline string-wound filter. No chlorine to filter, because mine is well water.

Do you know which element clogs first? Usually you would put a courser filter first, and then a finer one. The charcoal thing might change that plan however.

My filters are 4.5 x 20. So they filter about 6 times as much in each cartridge. They are overkill for me, because after ordering my filter housings, I got a backwashing filter at the front end. There is not much left for the cartridges to do. I changed cartridges after 13 months the first time. The 50...5 micron was slightly discolored, and the 1 micron looked new.

So I don't have direct answers to your questions. I still hope it helps.

JMThomas

Reaction score
The first (and only) thing that happens is the water taste goes off. Replacing the carbon wrap filter fixes the problem. There is no noticeable pressure drop that would indicate clogging.

Right now, I'm replacing the carbon wrap every 4-6 weeks, when the spouse complains about taste.

Just because (i.e no real reason), I spend a couple of bucks and replace the spun filter every 3rd time I replace the the carbon filter.

JMThomas

Reaction score
Another way to look at this problem: carbon block filters are $25 - $40. The carbon paper wrap filters are $4.

Should I expect carbon block to last 10 times longer?

JMThomas

Reaction score
Tis been a while, and I've been doing post mortums on various brands of filters. Unfortunately, the new is mostly bad.

The worst I've found is sold under the DuPont brand by the big box stores. They have to come from China, and the length of the carbon impregnated paper wrapping the filer has continued to shrink, as does the amount of time before I have to replace them. There ONLY function is taste; I've pre-filters that leave the sediment portion brilliant white.

I used the last of My Omni TO1; it was 3 years on the shelf so I can't say that it's representative of today's product. But it lasted about twice as long as the DuPont and had 3 times the length of carbon paper wrap.

I'm looking for a Pentek I can afford (cost effectiveness) I'm getting the DuPonts for about $1.50 each, and 4 weeks of use is a long run for them.

Any suggestions?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I bought a case at Lowe's, made in the usa by Ecodyne and marketed by Whirlpool. They last me 3 months, but I only have them on the cold water kitchen sink. About $6 a filter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks