Can't get trim off shower handles... advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

rrr

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Delta tub/shower faucet setup. Probably 10+ yrs old. Don't know the model number.

I'm trying to get the %#&^ trim off the handles... but they won't budge. Tried unscrewing them, pulling... but it doesn't budge. How do these things come off?

Here's a picture of the trim I'm trying to remove.

thanks!

Attachments

• P1000178.JPG
    P1000178.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 308

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you don't see any set screws, I would try to unscrew it. Put something that fits tight inside the trim so it does not get distorted. A socket might fit. You can always wrap something around the socket to help it fit tighter. Then grip the trim sleeve where the handle covers the trim so any scratches don't show.

rrr

Reaction score
If you don't see any set screws, I would try to unscrew it. Put something that fits tight inside the trim so it does not get distorted. A socket might fit. You can always wrap something around the socket to help it fit tighter. Then grip the trim sleeve where the handle covers the trim so any scratches don't show.

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. So I found a socket that fit well, then grabbed it with a big set of pliers... and gave it a good try. But still didn't budge. All I can figure is that the threads are rusted/corroded. Probably dissimilar metals reacting/fusing....

I'll squirt some liq wrench into the threads, let it sit overnight and and try again tomorrow.

thanks again

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am glad some one told you it is (Price)Pfister, otherwise you would get the wrong parts. Put the proper sized socket INSIDE the sleeve and then grab it and twist. I have NEVER had them not come loose, but IF they did not, then the whole stem would come out and you could replace it. Call 1-800-PFAUCET for any replacement parts. I cannot tell if your stem has a white plastic "thing" on it inside the sleeve, because that would tell me which model stem you need.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks