Can't Find Valve Box!

Users who are viewing this thread

patchen

Reaction score
Hi there - we bought our house about 10 years ago, and the previous owners had installed an underground irrigation system. I recall seeing the valve box in the yard (green cover), but now grass has grown over it, and over the years I've forgotten the exact location.

Every year I think about trying to locate the box, but i've admittedly just put my head in the sand and have chosen not to think about it! I feel like a irresponsible owner! Luckily we haven't had any issues with the system, but I think I should locate the valve box anyways.

Any suggestions? I've thought of walking up and down with a sharp stick, and poking every few inches in the yard...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A wire tracing device will tell you where the wires go so the box would either be at the end of the tracing or somewhere along it depending on how it was installed and wired. Otherwise the probe idea will be the least expensive option.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd suspect the box would be very close to the controller. Otherwise, there would have to be lot of wire to connect the valves to the controller. When you find the box, it should be raised so the top is level with the lawn, not buried.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks