Can't Find Valve Box!

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by patchen, May 15, 2009.

1. patchen

patchen New Member

Hi there - we bought our house about 10 years ago, and the previous owners had installed an underground irrigation system. I recall seeing the valve box in the yard (green cover), but now grass has grown over it, and over the years I've forgotten the exact location.

Every year I think about trying to locate the box, but i've admittedly just put my head in the sand and have chosen not to think about it! I feel like a irresponsible owner! Luckily we haven't had any issues with the system, but I think I should locate the valve box anyways.

Any suggestions? I've thought of walking up and down with a sharp stick, and poking every few inches in the yard...
  2. plumbingskool

plumbingskool Retired Tradesman

Look on the side of the house for the sprinkler feed and start from there.

The box will be around that area.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A wire tracing device will tell you where the wires go so the box would either be at the end of the tracing or somewhere along it depending on how it was installed and wired. Otherwise the probe idea will be the least expensive option.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I'd suspect the box would be very close to the controller. Otherwise, there would have to be lot of wire to connect the valves to the controller. When you find the box, it should be raised so the top is level with the lawn, not buried.
  5. PSLawnService

PSLawnService New Member

An electrician can track the low voltage wires from your controller to the valve(s) in just minutes.