Can't find drain under tile for a planned bathroom

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Do it yourself Dave, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Do it yourself Dave

Do it yourself Dave New Member

I bought a new house after a family backed out of the deal with the contractor one week prior to its completion. The people that backed out decided to have one of the bathrooms converted to a dog room. The contractor told me that he couldn't give me the prints but everything was inplace to convert it back to the planned bathroom.

I've opened the wall and found the hot and cold water capped off. I've removed the tile from the floor, but can't find the drain. I've dug into the concrete about 1.5 inches where I believe the drain should be, but can't find it.

Since the contractor is on vacation and I want to start this renovation now, can anyone tell me how contractors usually leave a drain in this type situation. How deep? Where?

The bathroom was designed for a 60 inch tub, I want to install a shower vice a tub, but can't make any decisions until I find the drain.

Thanks in advance, Dave
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

IF it is there then tap the floor with a hammer. You will hear a thud when you are over the opening.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

kinda like sonar but with a hammer!:D
  4. Do it yourself Dave

Do it yourself Dave New Member

Thanks. It was there, but it was in the dirt under the concrete.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

In that case it was not really, "ready for installation", and it is concrete breaking time because there is no other way to locate it.