Can I Use Any Thin Set

Users who are viewing this thread

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
.... a sloped ceiling with rafters 24" OC.
The rest of the ceiling would be 5/8" drywall (again, because of the 24" span).

- How do you handle the transition from 1/2" ... to 5/8" ...

*This* is the reason I was planning on using 5/8" Drywall behind the Kerdi in shower area...

Any better approaches??

Since kerdi requires thinset on both sides, why not use thinner substrate instead of the exact same thickness? I don't get it. The way you are planning it, your tile + thinset + keerdi + thinest will be thick, on a 5/8" thickness.... And this is because you want it to line up?? Btw, what are you planning to do at the end, use a Schluter profile, or a special tile, or nothing?

In any case, I would make it all 12" between ceiling support members. Easy as pie. HAve you called the gypsum manufacturer to see if even 5/8" drywall will be warranteed hanging from studs 24" apart ??

Chefwong

Reaction score
Hi John -

Love to see some updates on the testing progression.
I stumbled across this thread in research....or whether I'm going to use Kerdi or Liquid for my next project.
Regardless, it would have been CBU for the wetwalls. It's just a lil more dust to hang the boards and more heft lugging it up a flight of stairs, but the labors all the same to me.

Any reason not to post this same Topic of Discussion over at the JB Pro Forum....

Chefwong

Reaction score
A thought did come to me when I was reading the new test thread.
Assuming that pink to white means dry. What if the chemical that makes it so dissolves due to evaporation/air.

Have you done a control sample of just dried compound and then wet it again to indeed confirm it will turn back pink/blue in the prescense of water.

I'm not on the forums that much to notice the editing....
The only thing that is a peeve is the *project* biased single thread when oftentimes, for me at least, the questions for me are more general knowledge, underlying foundation stuff while pertinent to ~the project~ but moreso a general knowledge question. A general knowledge question with a good subject title to boot -- to possibly get more eyes on the subject, oftentimes may get moved back into my project thread only to not have a single eye on it since the title thread is not relevant to the new question I was asking.

Here's a recent project of mine......I was hoping alot more pro's would give their feedback (whether positive or negative) but none of the regulars seem to care for the thread...

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97112&page=6

Last edited:

Chefwong

Reaction score
BTW, on your notation of adhesion and Kerdi, Noble....and I'm sure you know this....but JC has glue/adhesives in it...
GP obviously has more than a topping compound, but nontheless, I'm not surprised Kerdi/Noble will stick to JC....

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
I.... less editing, less thread removals, less thread splitting and more opinions than one common Orange Theme.

I would love someone to post these same topics on the John Bridge forum. You would be surprised at how little the main contributors will contribute. You will also be surprised that information that is contrary to Schluter's advice will be posted and then confirmed many times by the regulars.
because so much editing happens over there. I have seen whole posts get deleted and entire threads removed.
It's worse than that. John W is being very soft in his criticism.
They are willing to steer someone the wrong way in order to protect their sponsor membrane.

Chefwong

Reaction score
JW or GS. PM me on the details on the remarks on JB.
Or just post the info here.
It's disconcerting if the information / advice being given may be biased if not wrong !

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
if it all comes out into the open, ultimately it will put Terry Love under a lot of pressure to delete it; i.e. "cease and desist".

Just double check with the manufacturers of the products you are considering. Don't overthink things.

There are millions of membraned showers that were made with products other than the orange membrane that is all over the internet. Lots of membrane products have been manufactured, distributed, bought and sold, installed and warrantee'd, and I mean products that are not made by the one big sponsor of that friendly tile site.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks