Can I use a flexible fernco in a tub drain assembly?

Users who are viewing this thread

pazure

Reaction score
I've searched for, and read through a number of threads regarding using a Fernco flexible fitting under a tub, but found nothing that matches what I want to do.

The layout:
- Top floor 5' x 7' bathroom
- ABS DWV pipes.
- Current horizontal drain line with cleanout sits half way proud of subfloor.
- I'm replacing the subfloor with 3/4" T&G plywood (from 5/8") old flooring is now out, so I have full access to P trap and plumbing (see pic).

The tub:
- American Standard Princeton 30-in W x 60-in L White Porcelain Enameled Steel Oval In Rectangle Right-Hand Drain Alcove (2391202ICH.020)
- integrated overflow
- Below floor rough-in

Since I only need one drain pipe to lead to the p-trap assembly (i.e., no sanitary tee) can I use a Fernco flexible elbow to join the drain pipe to the p-trap drain line? Access to the head side of the tub is limited by framing that will eventually have the plumbing in it. If I absolutely must, I can go through the drywall behind that plumbing wall, but I'd like to avoid doing that.

Attachments

• 20210209_115832.jpg
    20210209_115832.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 463

Reach4

Reaction score
A shielded coupling is allowed.
black-fernco-rubber-fittings-p3000-150-64_145.jpg

No flexible elbow allowed.

pazure

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4. I would suppose a flexible elbow coupling is even more verboten.

Even if I had gotten the above ground rough-in model, I couldn't have accessed the pipes to make the connections. Guess I'm going to have to cut out the ceiling drywall from the bathroom below to finish up the plumbing for this. Is below ceiling access a regular thing for plumbers putting in tubs?

Ugghhhh!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks