Can a deep well pump burn out from continuous use/too much backpressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott989

Reaction score
Last week we woke up to no water. It was in the middle of the big deep freeze here in northern Michigan. We had the well guys come out and they found that the well pump in my deep well (pitless, 160' deep) was dead. They pulled it and replaced it. Fired it up and we had water at the hydrant at the well head but not in the house. So the main line apparently has frozen, burst, or both, no idea which.

So that we could get water I switched out one of my anti-siphon spigots outside and ran a hose from the hydrant at the well head to the spigot, turned on the pump, and back-filled the house. We do this for a few hours a day, not constantly. This works great, but I'm concerned about a few things:

1) Will the continuous use of the pump during those few hours a day possibly damage it?
2) Is leaving open one or two taps in order to keep the water flowing in the hose (so it won't freeze) enough to relieve the backpressure on the well pump?
3) Can too much backpressure on a well pump damage it?

I'm a complete newb to this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Broken record here... Backpressure actually makes the pumps job easier and DOES NOT HURT a pump. Pumps are also made for continuous duty. They will last longer if they are never shut off. Cycling on and off is what kills pumps. There is no problem backfeeding through a hose as long as the pump is not cycling on and off rapidly.

Scott989

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. Good to know that I can keep it running without having to worry about how long, etc.

Now to wait for the ground to thaw come April. Ugh.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks