By-passing water filter

Users who are viewing this thread

TruckkerJoe

Reaction score
Hello to all,
Just went and changed filter and wife took a bath,so after only 30gals this filter has a SMALL amount manganese laying in-it?and if I look at it each day the color will progressively get darker and darker even after a regeneration?Someone might think that you see it darken closer to a week or so..and not after 30gals?
Anyways set-up is =Jet-pump, Flex7000 10x48 backwashing Katalox Light followed by flex56 10x54 soften.
Maybe jet-pump needs a good cleaning?
Also looking for a good Manganese tester that isn"t HARD to understand?
Thanks to All!!!
1214151519.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect you are seeing sediment and not manganese.

Where is that filter housing in the sequence? Normally you would like to have it after the KL backwashing filter.

Did you get a water test from a lab that gave you a manganese number?

TruckkerJoe

Reaction score
Manganese 0.236 mg/ or ppm and yes it is after filter.I don't think it's sediment Reach4 Manganese sticks to everything and anything it touches that's why I'am leaning towards my pump?What about a mang.tester ?

Reach4

Reaction score
Ouch! I see SMCL is 0.05. I have no relevant experience.

Hach generally makes good stuff. Their kit looks expensive. That came up in a manganese test kit search. I would suspect that the kits are testing for Mn in solution rather than solids.

Your pump theory is that there might be a deposit that built up in the pump and that pieces are coming loose? The KL filter is supposed to mechanically filter out stuff as large as about 5 microns. How long before your filter cartridge gets clogged enough to call for changing the cartridge?

I am wondering if the manganese ions in solution were oxidized to MnO2 but it was too finely divided to get filtered out by the KL granules. I hope somebody with actual knowledge can help.

TruckkerJoe

Reaction score
How long before your filter cartridge gets clogged enough to call for changing the cartridge? We don't loose any P.S.I for long time (like 30 to 60days) if even that long
our set-up has a holding tank/cistern 500gal that oxidizes the solution. if I had sent you some pics of the bottom of cistern
you really say..Ouch!!!just thought after Reg.you would not see much UNTILL around 2 to 3weeks? had me thinking!!! and THANK YOU Sir.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
What is the pH of your untreated water?

For the manganese tester, they are all difficult. I use the eXact 20 well driller test. It takes a few times to get used to hw it works, but once you figure it out, the results are highly repeatable unlike most testers which tend to vary quite a bit.

montelatici

Reaction score
While I understand that there are special string filters that go down to .5 microns, most of those sold at Home Depot, etc. are more than 5 microns. You Katalox backwashing filter should take care of anything larger than 3 microns. If I understood correctly your system is:

well------>jetpump---->Katalox filter---->Water softener----->sediment filter with string cartridge------>house water system

If you installed everything at the same time, I have no idea. If you added the Katalox filter after the softener had been in operation for a period of time, you may have manganese (and iron) build up in it which is being gradually released.

TruckkerJoe

Reaction score
Montelatici,Dittohead,Reach4 Thanks all of you,
Montelatici your statement makes a lot of sense but filter is directly after jet pump,then clear string 5micron,into a additional carbon 10x54 lastly softener witch gets cleaned out with resin cleaner.@ this point going to try adding some kind of spray system to get more oxygen into top of cistern holding tank that ditto had suggested in other Posts. Katalox-light is still a outstanding product that I have seen with a substantial improvement.Happy X-mass.

montelatici

Reaction score
Montelatici,Dittohead,Reach4 Thanks all of you,
Montelatici your statement makes a lot of sense but filter is directly after jet pump,then clear string 5micron,into a additional carbon 10x54 lastly softener witch gets cleaned out with resin cleaner.@ this point going to try adding some kind of spray system to get more oxygen into top of cistern holding tank that ditto had suggested in other Posts. Katalox-light is still a outstanding product that I have seen with a substantial improvement.Happy X-mass.

My hypothesis was based on a misunderstanding of your set up. I got rid of my sediment filter (string cartridge) when I installed the Katalox BW filter. Since the Katalox filter media is designed to go down to 3 microns, I would have put the 5 micron string cartridge filter before the Katalox if you wanted to keep it in the system. Could lengthen the life of the Katalox media. I just hated to change the cartridge in the cartridge filter!

Reach4

Reaction score
My hypothesis was based on a misunderstanding of your set up. I got rid of my sediment filter (string cartridge) when I installed the Katalox BW filter. Since the Katalox filter media is designed to go down to 3 microns, I would have put the 5 micron string cartridge filter before the Katalox if you wanted to keep it in the system. Could lengthen the life of the Katalox media. I just hated to change the cartridge in the cartridge filter!

I use a PENTEK-DGD-5005-20 followed by a 1 micron PENTEK-WP1BB20P after my iron+sulfur filter. I bought the BBs before deciding to get the backwashing filter. Having two big cartridges after the backwashing filter is overkill, but I like overkill sometimes. I get over a year out of the cartridges, so it is not a big deal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks