High iron (12ppm) and high Manganese (.44ppm)and slightly acidic water (6.5)

Users who are viewing this thread

Joey_58

Reaction score
I have a ph of 6.5, iron is at 12ppm, manganese is .44 ppm, hardness is 3 grains, and TDS is 90. I’m trying to figure out which media is the best in my scenario i know birm won’t work because of ph. All the solid magnanese oxides require a higher ph to perform at their full potential. Greensand requires chlorine injection (constant regeneration) or potassium permanganate/chlorine backwash which will require a carbon filter after. So the only other one that I think might be best case would be katalox light. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't have expertise in this, but my iron+H2S uses chlorine with regeneration every 3 days. The chlorine gets rinsed out during regen. My iron is much lower than yours, and I have no measurable Mn. So I was not suggesting that my system would be suitable for you.

BkE

Reaction score
Your hardness and TDS only barely meets the minimum recommendation for Crystal Right but I think CR100 might be a good choice given the low pH , high iron and Manganese...

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Raising the pH through soda ash injection is very simple, send me an email and I will send you over instructions on how to do it. Removing iron with low pH outside of a traditional ion exchange can be difficult. I would also recommend H2o2 over chlorine assuming you have no bacterial issues.
Allan@impactwaterproducts.com

firimar

Reaction score
I'm not a DIYer, but I recommend that you call the people at Chandler (Ashland, Ohio) about their CSI Nitro25. They worked for months with me, when no one else would even talk to me, before recommending their Nitro unit. It's the only unit I found that would remove the iron/manganese/sulfur with my pH of 6.6. Hope this helps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks