Bursts of air coming through faucets,toilets & washer

Users who are viewing this thread

Debbra523

Reaction score
Hi..I have bursts of air coming through my faucets- so strong it will knock the cup out of my hand if I'm getting a glass of tap water. Im also getting the air bursts and sputters when I use the washer (cold water) and when we flush the toilets.Occasionally (but only in the master bathroom) when I flush the toilet, theres a loud long lasting vibrating hum in the wall behind the toilet.We recently replaced our shallow well pump with the same size pump, but we had the air bursts with the other pump also.The only other plumbing that was done in the home was putting a shut off valve on the bathroom toilet when we installed a new toilet.the new toilet wasnt installed in the master bathroom where the loud humming and vibrating is occurring.( The shut off valve is the kind where you turn it 3 times or so to turn water on/off) my master bathroom is the ONLY room that has that loud obnoxious noise (that will wake the dead) when someone flushes.However, every faucet, toilet, and the washing machine have the bursts of air..

.does anyone have any advice on whats going on? this is a one story modular home.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Your jet pump may have a leaking piping system. Does your system have a single pipe that goes down the hole or two?

Also, what can you tell us about your pressure tank? Does it have something on the side maybe?

I have no experience with a jet pump.

Regarding toilet shutoffs, if you replace one in the future, it is usually better to put in a quarter-turn ball valve while you are at it.

Last edited:

Debbra523

Reaction score
I went out into my well house to see if there was a leak, and I did notice that there was water dripping (maybe one drop per second) where the slip pvc adapter is.Its rusted and needs replacing I cant tighten it any tighter.also last night i woke up to no water coming from my sink.only air/sucking noise.I turned off well pump until morning and i was able to check things out.It seems to be holding prime but still sputtering air :( ..and to answer your question from earlier, there's just one pipe going into the ground.its an above ground shallow well.Pressure tank (holding tank?) are both outside in a well house

Last edited:

Debbra523

Reaction score
Your jet pump may have a leaking piping system. Does your system have a single pipe that goes down the hole or two?

Also, what can you tell us about your pressure tank? Does it have something on the side maybe?

I have no experience with a jet pump.

Regarding toilet shutoffs, if you replace one in the future, it is usually better to put in a quarter-turn ball valve while you are at it.
Instead of responding to this question earlier, I think I edited my post instead.I'm sorry for the confusion.I only have one pipe coming out of the ground going into my pump.one inch pipe.its a shallow well
pump with the holding tank right underneath it.Both are above ground, outside in a well house.I think the leaking from a PVC adapter might be causing the problem. Im having that replaced tomorrow since its too rusty to tighten.Im hoping it solves my problem.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Any fitting on the suction side of the pump that leaks water out when the pump is not running is likely to leak air in when it is running.

If the pump is mated to a hydro-pneumatic tank, then there would likely be an airmaker and there may be a problem with the AVC on the side of the tank. A bladder tank should not have any airmaker/AVC involved.

Debbra523

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I had the leaky PVC adapter replaced and that solved my problem. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks