Building a shower ??

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by WV Hillbilly, Dec 17, 2008.

1. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly New Member

I have 2 full baths & am considering removing 1 of the tubs & building a shower in its place . The question I have is , does anyone make 4x8 sheets of waterproof material that would be suitable to glue to drywall ? I was thinking of a finished product with some type of pattern , tile , brick , rock , ect . If so is inside & outside corners available ? Maybe corners with slots for the wall panels to fit in . Am thinking about purchasing the floorpan & building the rest .
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Any of the sheeting material (Corian, Silestone, etc.) manufacturers make sheets. Some are packaged into kits. You can make the whole thing monolithic if you wish, but building a tiled shower, especially one with some of the newer materials (Kerdi or Wedi come to mind) would also work well.

Keep in mind that your drain on a tub is likely 1.5", and a shower requires 2". Moving it to the center of your shower is the preferred location so that the slope is more even all around the shower.

If you want to consider tiled, consider checking out www.johnbridge.com.
  3. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly New Member

When you say kits I assume you mean shower kits ? Would any of these kits have ledges for soap or whatever built into the panels & do the kits come with a floorpan ? Do you know if lowes or home depot sell these kits . Besides code considerations is there any reason the drain has to be 2" ? When I shower in the tub the water goes down as fast as the shower head puts it out . I live in a very rural area & there will be no inspecters involved .
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

check out websites for Lasco, American Shower and Bath, and E.L. Mustee
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The curb on a shower is quite low, and a tub in comparison is quite deep, so if the drain is slow, or you are standing on it, in a shower, you can get into trouble quickly. Yes, there are numerous old showers around with 1.5" pipes, but the volume you can dump down that slightly larger pipe is really 1.77x bigger when you calculate the area, and that directly relates to how fast it can drain.

Check out a plumbing showroom, you should come up with some choices. I prefer a nice tiled shower, but solid surface has it's place.
  6. Ladiesman271

Ladiesman271 Homeowner