Broken well pipe

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by grassdog, Aug 20, 2008.

1. grassdog

grassdog New Member

yesterday i put a coupling on my well system pipe coming out of the ground to connect the header. It was leaking so i gave it a 1/4 turn but to my dismay about 1/2 of the threads from the pipe in the ground broke off inside of the coupling leaving me with some threads left. Can i put on another coupling to the threads that are still there because i really don't want to dig the pipe out or what can i do?. please help i am new at this. thank you for your insight.
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Nope, the theads are tapered. It's shovel time.
  3. grassdog

grassdog New Member

i can't just rethread the pipe?
  4. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Rethreading will get the taper right. If you can get a new coupling to start, tighten up, and not leak, that is the main thing.
  5. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

Keep it simple (KISS)

Again, Valveman is right. If you can screw on a new coupling and it doesn't leak you're good to go.

An option may be to use a "Dresser Coupling" http://www.dresser.com. You are there, only you know what's best for your application!

Porky