Broken sewer access

Users who are viewing this thread

Quicker_91

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I’m glad I was able to find this forum and hopefully someone on here can offer me some advice.

I recently installed a washer and dryer in the basement of my new home. I started it up for the first time and as it drained my basement soon became a swimming pool. The sewer access lid was off and the water came up and pored over. I went to put the lid back on but the 4" PVC pipe is cracked below the threads, and I am unable to get at it as it is below the concrete.

How does one go about fixing this problem?

TW

Last edited:

Quicker_91

Reaction score
Sorry guys I'm not doing a good job explaining this.. Im a Y3 carpenter but when it comes to plumbing Im out to lunch. I will grab some pictures tommorow and post them.

Thanks.

Quicker_91

Reaction score
diag_smoke_drain.jpg

top of the hole looks like so, It has a 4" PVC which appears to be connected metal futher down. I have a stack which is new... is this possibly the old former stack?

(i found this picture on th internet)

Last edited:

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Before you start to jack hammer I would run a snake down the grain and see if it will go and how far it will go. If it will do I would slowly pore a few 5 gallon buckets of water down and see if it will drain. Then get a jack hammer and have fun.

I would think it would be cheaper if it is unfinished to run the washer into a 55 gallon drum and get a cheap sump pump and run it into the main stack.

If you go right for the jack hammer you might be SOL because you have no idea what you could be getting into.

How far away is the new main stack?
Are there sings of some one else cutting up the concrete?
If so pics would help if it’s around any piping.