Broken faucet - do I need a new install ?

Users who are viewing this thread

lhartl

Reaction score
Good day. First let me tell you that I am at our cabin - 30 minutes from the nearest small town hardware store (Barriere, BC) and 90 minutes from a town with Home Depot or similar (Kamloops, BC). I have called three plumbers - no answer back from anyone yet, so I humbly ask for your online help. My skill level is moderate at best.

The hot water faucet in the bathtub will not shut off. I removed the faucet and valve and out came a chrome tubular thingy (1.5 inches long, 3/8"diameter) with a small rim on the top - it is obvious that it has broken off. I am assuming it is the 'seat'of the valve. What is left when I feel inside the hole in the wall is flush so I am not sure if it was threaded in there or not AND there is no lip to unscrew it and the inside wall of it is smooth - anyway I cannot get it out.

My question - do I need to replace the whole tap set? If so, which wall should be taken out? I could take out the gyproc in the utility room (behind the bathroom) or.... I could peel back the wall liner and hope to glue it back on again. Neither options sounds great - ugh.

I do not have a soldering apparatus - I sure hope there is a non-solder method available to a newbee.

I am desperate for your opinion - thanks,

Linda

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

I assume you broke the end off the stem, possibly of a Sayco faucet, but a picture of the piece and the faucet in the wall would help. The only reason to replace the faucet would be if this was an "orphan" faucet without any parts available.

lhartl

Reaction score

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 611

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

That looks like an ordinary compression style stem with a washer on the end. Unless you did something to the valve in the wall, it HAS to stop leaking if you changet the washer, and possibly the seat inside the valve if it has been damaged because of leaking for a long time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks