brine softwater problem

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by softwateruser, Apr 18, 2009.

1. softwateruser

softwateruser New Member

I have a fleck model 5600 or 5600 econominder water softener that is not producing soft water. Is there a formula to clean the system? I had a technichan tell me how to clean the system but have forgotten the formula.
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

What does clean it mean?

What have you done to troubleshoot the problem?

Is it using salt?

How old is it?

Is there too much water in the salt tank?
  3. softwateruser

softwateruser New Member

1. I had a tech tell me you can remove all of the salt and put something like vinager in the brine tank, but I don't remember the formula, then regenerate. then when it's done go back to the salt.

2. The only trouble shooting I did was to make sure the brine tank had salt and then I waited to make sure after regenerating that the salt level had gone down so I knew it was working. And tried regenerating manually.

3. yes

4. 9 years old

5. the water is up about a forth or third of the tank.
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

I've never heard of using vinegar in a softener. You'd need a lot, and I wouldn't do it.

If the water level in the salt tank is higher than normal, that means the control valve isn't sucking salt water correctly. The usual cause is lose brine line connectors, a blocked injector and/or injector screen or a kinked/blocked drain line.