Brand new Toto Wall Hung toilet creaks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Linda G

Reaction score
I just had my bathroom totally redone and the Toto wall hung toilet creaks when sitting on it! I only weight about 150# and it is supposed to hold up to 500#. I am nervous to use it. I texted the Contractor who said that the plumber said these are “finicky”. Unfortunately I have paid the contractor in full. Can anyone give me some advice? Is it possible to fix the creaking without tearing into the wall?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont know what araingement was made with a contractor and plumber but Id have them both come out most likely and request the repairs made. It is possible the wall needs opening up and possible it dosent. but either way You call them and if not satisfied . hire another contractor and give bill to original fight over who pays

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The way that those "two bolt" toilets mount is inherently problematic, in that, there is of-course, a lot of pressure placed on the unit right when you sit down.
With a tile wall behind the WC there is good resistance, with sheetrock, it can break down from all that pressure.
They sell this pad that can be put behind, AND also the two nuts can be tightened. I've never heard of a WC breaking at the bolts.
Here is the pad https://www.amazon.com/Geberit-156-050-00-1-Insulation-Connection-Accessories/dp/B00C5T6F26

Last edited:

WalnutContractors

Reaction score
I just had my bathroom totally redone and the Toto wall hung toilet creaks when sitting on it! I only weight about 150# and it is supposed to hold up to 500#. I am nervous to use it. I texted the Contractor who said that the plumber said these are “finicky”. Unfortunately I have paid the contractor in full. Can anyone give me some advice? Is it possible to fix the creaking without tearing into the wall?
How did you make out?

I found I had to shim out the bottom of the toilet to wall connection. The top portion of the porcelain gets pulled tight to the wall with the wall studs but the bottom connection is relying on the wall being plumb and also receives a lot of the flex from sitting on the toilet. I found making the bottom porcelain connection extra tight with a shim prevents any kind of play that causes flex and noise.

Comments on the toto install videos say that installing solid plywood instead of drywall is the best practice even if tiling over top to ensure the wall backing is as rigid as possible. Too late for me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks