wall hung toilet drain tie to roof vent

Users who are viewing this thread

wilhobbbs

Reaction score
I am replacing an old wall hung toilet (cracked cast iron drain unit that had roof vent) with a Toto wall hung and need to tie into the roof vent. Do you know of an aftermarket "t" that allows me to replace the Toto 90 degree drain with a "T" to tie into roof vent as per diagram below? I would run a vent pipe horizontal through 2x6 stud, vertical up the stud and then turn back 90 degree through stud to tie into existing roof vent.

Toto frame.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
it wouldnt be legal and I dont know if what you propose would fit or if a fitting is made for that. horizontal dry vent below flood level a no no . I wonder if it will wet vent through your system in a good workable if not legal way

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
WC vent only needs to be 2". You can do a lot once you are below the floor.
I know Geberit wall hung carriers have some different elbows to go sideways in either direction. Geberit carriers are excellent or better than Toto.
shopping

wilhobbbs

Reaction score
it wouldnt be legal and I dont know if what you propose would fit or if a fitting is made for that. horizontal dry vent below flood level a no no . I wonder if it will wet vent through your system in a good workable if not legal way
Thank you for the reply and detail

wilhobbbs

Reaction score
WC vent only needs to be 2". You can do a lot once you are below the floor.
I know Geberit wall hung carriers have some different elbows to go sideways in either direction. Geberit carriers are excellent or better than Toto.
shopping
Thank you for the idea.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If that was an existing 3 inch or 4 inch vent runing up wall and out roof a 2inch vent wouldnt fly . too little info to determine that the vent can be 2 inch and not knowing the entire scope of work hard to make a suggestion perhaps aye can go on the verticle some how including below floor and banching off on 45 and then staying verticle till 6 inches above flood level? or horizontal wet vent ?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
This may be an unpopular opinion... but toilets don't require a vent in order to function properly.

This is the code that Jeff is referring to above that prohibits that vent from branching off the drain as shown.

905.3 Vent Pipe Rise

Diagram
Unless prohibited by structural conditions, each vent shall rise vertically to a point not less than 6 inches (152 mm) above the flood-level rim of the fixture served before offsetting horizontally, ....

However, is there a structural condition that prevents you from taking a vent off vertically?

Or if we want to comply strictly to code. You could use a 3x2 Street WYE to make your vent travel vertically at a 45° angle to clear your support studs. You would install your 90 boot to the frame, transition to your DWV fitting with a fernco of appropriate sizes then adapt to your existing waste below... All very tight

1698337358342.png

wilhobbbs

Reaction score
If that was an existing 3 inch or 4 inch vent runing up wall and out roof a 2inch vent wouldnt fly . too little info to determine that the vent can be 2 inch and not knowing the entire scope of work hard to make a suggestion perhaps aye can go on the verticle some how including below floor and banching off on 45 and then staying verticle till 6 inches above flood level? or horizontal wet vent ?
Thanks for the clarification. Roof vent is 2" and existing 4" drain is in slab floor. Hoping the 4x3x4 wye will work.

wilhobbbs

Reaction score
This may be an unpopular opinion... but toilets don't require a vent in order to function properly.

This is the code that Jeff is referring to above that prohibits that vent from branching off the drain as shown.

905.3 Vent Pipe Rise

Diagram
Unless prohibited by structural conditions, each vent shall rise vertically to a point not less than 6 inches (152 mm) above the flood-level rim of the fixture served before offsetting horizontally, ....

However, is there a structural condition that prevents you from taking a vent off vertically?

Or if we want to comply strictly to code. You could use a 3x2 Street WYE to make your vent travel vertically at a 45° angle to clear your support studs. You would install your 90 boot to the frame, transition to your DWV fitting with a fernco of appropriate sizes then adapt to your existing waste below... All very tight

View attachment 94785
Super helpful idea. Thank you.
Thanks for the clarification. Roof vent is 2" and existing 4" drain is in slab floor. Hoping the 4x3x4 wye will work.
Correction 3x2 wye

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks