Brand new Delta 1400 Series Shower valve with a leak... Ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

mjm6

Reaction score
Folks,

I installed a new Delta shower valve a day ago and did a pressure test on the lines. All good on the solder joints, etc.

However, it appears that the cartridge, seals, or the brass housing has a problem, because there is a slow drip on the shower head.

I've taken the cartridge apart to check the seals and springs, and looked for grit in the housing, but can't find anything that would clearly be the source.

What it the most likely culprit for the leak? The rubber seals? The O-Rings? the housing? I've got to see about getting a return or something, but I don't want to disassemble the whole setup if it is a simple cartridge or seals issue.

Thanks,

---Michael

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On the last one I installed, when looking at it carefully, there were some scratches on the SS plate that creates the seal. A new cartridge solved the problem. IF you look carefully at the seals, make sure none of them are cut and that they are seated properly.

delta-cartridge-summary.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mjm6

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I talked to the vendor and then swapped out the cartridge. Looks like that was the problem, even though I could see no damage or problems in the manufacture. Thankfully, that saves me from having to pull out the housing and re-solder an new one in, which would have been a real hassle.

---Michael

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks