Booster pump advice/recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Griffin

Reaction score
Good afternoon folks. I am nearing the end of a major 2 year home renovation. I am at the point of setting up my water supply/filtration system. I have the filtration system figured out. I am looking for advice or recommendations on a booster pump system. The booster will be fed from a 3k gallon above ground storage tank that is filled via a solar well pump. The booster pump suction will have ~2.5 psi on it. I've been looking at the Davey BT20-40 due to the fact that its rated for a 0 psi flooded suction situation. I will have a pressure reducing valve to limit my static line pressure in the house to ~55psi. I would like to run a pressure tank along with the booster to take care of small water draw situations. Any water system designers willing to share their hard earned knowledge with a guy they don't know from Adam!? Thank you.

Jim

Edit: Upon using the search function, I found a very helpful post https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ding-a-constant-pressure-booster-pump.101029/

I am thinking the route outlined in the above linked post is the way to go, however I will research and over analyze it. Seems simple and reliable. And most of all, relatively inexpensive. What is the general consensus regarding Goulds JS+ shallow well jet pump reliability? I'm interested in the J10S model. It would be plenty for my application. I have a lot of experience with their MTX line of centrifugal pumps. They are rock solid in my opinion. I imagine most of their products are.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You found a pretty good thread on your subject. There are probably hundreds more with people trying every kind of booster pump and control known to man. Pay attention to the systems that are highly advertised, as they wouldn't be spending so much money pushing those kind unless they make a lot of money from them. You want a pump system that is not highly promoted by the pump manufactures, as those are the most expensive to you over time.

The Goulds jet pumps are good. But all pumps have been cheapened up over the years until there is not that much difference between competing brands or even off brands. The important part is the pump control. Get one that eliminates pump cycling and doesn't use any computer controls as those are the least expensive, most reliable, and longest lasting.

Something like this with the Cycle Stop Valve CSV1A is best.
View attachment 93297

Jim Griffin

Reaction score
Valveman, thank you for providing your insight and the diagram. The simplicity and low cost of your recommended system makes it extremely attractive. I am likely going to go that route. I repair and maintain a fleet of 7 gas turbine power plants. The control logic used for pumps, fans and other electrical equipment, is such that they have low cycles and thus, great reliability. Are there certain shallow well jet pumps that should be avoided?

Jim

Jim Griffin

Reaction score
I have a brand new 16 gpm grundfos submersible deep well pump that I purchased for one of our wells a few years back. Turns out, the well casing was collapsed and the pump sits in my shop now. Can I use the the submersible for pumping out of my storage tank to supply the house? If that's a good option, how does one limit the rotational torque created when the pump kicks on?

Jim

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Maybe these will help.

cistern with sub.jpg

shroud 3 pics sized.jpg

Horizontal Bracket for Sub sized.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks