Boiler still shuts off

Users who are viewing this thread

Mudslider

Reaction score
We have been workiing on this for 5 weeks so far. HVAC tech had no idea. I thought we had it fixed. Last night added water to system, brought pressure up. it worked great for hours. Every radiator heated, system came on and off as needed. Woke up this morning cold. Same thing, runs for only 3 to 5 minutes then shuts off. Gets to high limit as if pump is not circulating to cool it down. ARGH! it was working last night. I bled all the radiators again, pressure has not changed and return is cold. PUMP< PUMP< it has to be the pump? Last night it was obviously running...........last night I did the victory dance, thinking it was water and pressure. ARgh....ideas? Think the pump might have a mind of its own??

Cristanb

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the water level was actually low, and, the pump ran dry for any bit, it may be shot. Those pumps have a water lubricated bearing...run them dry, and they can seize up fairly quickly.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
We have been workiing on this for 5 weeks so far. HVAC tech had no idea. I thought we had it fixed. Last night added water to system, brought pressure up. it worked great for hours. Every radiator heated, system came on and off as needed. Woke up this morning cold. Same thing, runs for only 3 to 5 minutes then shuts off. Gets to high limit as if pump is not circulating to cool it down. ARGH! it was working last night. I bled all the radiators again, pressure has not changed and return is cold. PUMP< PUMP< it has to be the pump? Last night it was obviously running...........last night I did the victory dance, thinking it was water and pressure. ARgh....ideas? Think the pump might have a mind of its own??

Cristanb

Pull the pump out and run it so you can watch the impeller spin. This way you'll know for sure if it's working or not.

Mudslider

Reaction score
pull pump?

It is a taco 007 with the cartridge. not sure how to pull it and run it at the same time..original tech said it was working..do not think it is anymore.b

Mudslider

Reaction score
finally

Well, I think we had two issues...Low water and air AND an intermediate short in the wiring at the pump. My step son as here for Christmas, he is a journeybman Electrician. We thought it was the pump and he confirmed and was able to "fix" it until we can replace it.
Thanks for all the input..it all helped.

Cristan

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks