Boiler still shuts off

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by mudslider, Dec 22, 2009.

1. mudslider

mudslider New Member

We have been workiing on this for 5 weeks so far. HVAC tech had no idea. I thought we had it fixed. Last night added water to system, brought pressure up. it worked great for hours. Every radiator heated, system came on and off as needed. Woke up this morning cold. Same thing, runs for only 3 to 5 minutes then shuts off. Gets to high limit as if pump is not circulating to cool it down. ARGH! it was working last night. I bled all the radiators again, pressure has not changed and return is cold. PUMP< PUMP< it has to be the pump? Last night it was obviously running...........last night I did the victory dance, thinking it was water and pressure. ARgh....ideas? Think the pump might have a mind of its own??

Cristanb
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If the water level was actually low, and, the pump ran dry for any bit, it may be shot. Those pumps have a water lubricated bearing...run them dry, and they can seize up fairly quickly.
  3. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

Pull the pump out and run it so you can watch the impeller spin. This way you'll know for sure if it's working or not.
  4. mudslider

mudslider New Member

pull pump?

It is a taco 007 with the cartridge. not sure how to pull it and run it at the same time..original tech said it was working..do not think it is anymore.b
  5. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

You should beable to seperate the motor from the volute... Usually 4 allen screws hold the motor to the volute.
  6. mudslider

mudslider New Member

finally

Well, I think we had two issues...Low water and air AND an intermediate short in the wiring at the pump. My step son as here for Christmas, he is a journeybman Electrician. We thought it was the pump and he confirmed and was able to "fix" it until we can replace it.
    Thanks for all the input..it all helped.

Cristan