Blupping Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

BruceY

Reaction score
I have two sinks feeding into one drain. The first sink is a typical kitchen sink. that drain goes thru the floor, into my basement and ties into the main drain exiting the house. The second sink is a small wet bar sink located in the next room. THAT sink has a lead drain pipe that ties into cast iron. The kitchen sink is copper and ties into the same cast. Imagine the letter Y. It's bacicaly like that and the easiest way for me, to describe to you, how it's set up. It's been this way for over 30 years with NO problems. There is a vent stack in place for as long as we've been here.
Starting last year the bar sink blurps when soapy water is discharged down the KITCHEN sink. Some one told me the vent pipe was clogged. I got up on my roof, seen it was clogged with a garden hose and snaked it clean, tested with a hose and it seemed fine. For a short while if at all.
I'm not sure if the bar sink is sucking air or blowing bubbles. I've used drain openers, snakes, and pulled "gunk" out of a cleanout in the basement.
I need to get this resolved for I have my home on the market. I can send a more detailed diagram if needed.
HELP HELP AT WITS END

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

From the little bit you have told us, and without being there to verify it, it appears that the sink connection is not correct, and if so, it should always have blupped. A local plumber could tell for sure.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Please send more info.This may help me help you.
Ihave seen 3" CI so clogged that I couldnt stick my figner in it.

BruceY

Reaction score
Nothing changed.....

Nothing has been changed in ove 27 years I've lived in this home. The blurpping started maybe just over a year ago. Not too noticable at first but with time it has. Someone told me it sounded like the vent stack was clogged. I got my ladder out, dragged my garden hose to the roof , fed water down thru the vent. seeing rather quickly water start to build up in the stack, I had a vision if I allowed too much water to fill, a leak would develope and water would be draining into my walls. SO I stopped with the water, rented a drill powered snake, heard what I thought the water suddenly drain, and repeated the hose test. NO water was seen to build up and I can see water run past a cleanout I have outside my home. The cleanout was installed when most of the teracotta drain was replaced with pvc about 6 years ago outside of the foundation walls. The home is a 130+ year old victorian and the roof is severly pitched. After doing the roof snake thing, the blurpping seemd to stop. At this point I'm not sure if it's forcing air (bubbles) out OR sucking air in.
It started when soapy water was drained down the kitchen sink, the bar sink would blurp over and over. Stopped for a while after snake and now it seems to have sarted up again. but now only regular water draind in the kitchen sink does it. And sometimes the kitchen sink now blurps. When either the toilet is flushed, or either sink is drained I see plenty of water flowing past the outside cleanout. NOTHING HAS CHANGED IN THE SETUP IN 30+ YEARS!
EXCEPT for a garbidge disposal installed about 10 years ago. Bar room sink has an S-Trap, it drains thru the floor then thru a section of lead pipe where it's tied into cast.
I hope my first attempt at MS Power Point diagram explains well enough.

We have our home on the market so I anxious to get this resolved. Thank You Bruce

Attachments

• BLURPPING SETUP.jpg
    BLURPPING SETUP.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I'll give this a shot. Your fixtures should be vented in a better manner. If it worked well before it was sort of acting like a combination waste vent system, which would only need a single point vent (but the fixtures are usually on the same plane, not with a branch which picks up 2 other fixtures).

Technical aspects of a combination waste vent. The main sanitary line is oversized min. 1 pipe size larger so the fixtures can get adequate venting through the drain. On a combination system (now), you cannot have toilets on the system as they tend to put a greater load on the vent system.

If your system has been working as you stated up until recently I would suspect that over time you have buildup on the inside of your main sanitary system which is "pinching" the amount of vent space inside the pipe.

The easiest fix would be to at least put in p-traps and install air-admittance valves at the sinks. The proper fix would be to install a code-approved vent system and tie the vents back to your vent stack.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Partial blockage between the bar sink and the main causing the kitchen sinks waste to back up to the bar sink while draining.
Ten to one your bar sink drains slower as well.

BruceY

Reaction score
Bar Sink

Bar sink does seem to drain a little slow at times, I attrebuted this to a small sink drain pipe. There are no sink vents located at each sink. Never where. And as I stated it did work fine before just as shown in my diagram. That's what has me puzzled as to what it is. Both sinks have S-TRAPS because they both drain down thru the floor, not the wall. Bar sink is pvc down to floor where it ties into the lead pipe. The kitchen sink is a single bowl and has a sink-erator garbege disposial. IF it is gragual buildup of those fine organic sludge stuff, and with what Ive said about each sink drain pipe, what type/brand frain opener would give me best results?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
BruceY said:
, what type/brand frain opener would give me best results?

Ridgid 380 snake. Chemicals will only compound your troubles, and make you pay the plumber to replace his cable if you damage it with your chemicals.

Kilgore!!!!

Reaction score
No snake will make up for proper venting.

I agree with the proper venting. The snake will increase the lumen of the pipe temporarily-- until it happens again.

You have to imagine pouring gas from a gas can with the air-vent closed. If the amount of fluid fills the lumen of the spout, it starts slurping air.

The idea of the in-line vent with a p-trap is the cheapest and easiest.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks