Blue/Green oxide on pipe feeding HVAC unit

Users who are viewing this thread

AJTSheppard

Reaction score
I have a build up of blue/green oxide (more blue than green) on a copper pipe that feeds a central air HVAC unit. There are two copper pipes feeding the unit, but only one exhibits this problem. Even though the worst of it was easily removed with soap and water, I would like to know what causes this and what can be done to make it go away.

Before cleaning with soap and water ... see photo, and after cleaning ... see photo.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 516
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 563

tedfrk

Reaction score
that pipe is suppose to be insulated,and by the looks of it your in a basement or garage,an unconditioned area.which gets very hot in the summer and causes more condensation to build up on that pipe.which is considered the suction line,i would clean it up and insulate it all the way up to the coil,and then you could tape the seam of the insulation and caulk the seal where it goes into the coil.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks