Bladder Tank Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

jeff Mc

Reaction score
My bladder tank is not filling up at all (i can lift it and am quite sure its empty). The well was just serviced as casing had lifted a few inches causing dirty water for a few months. We have with power 22 pressure on the pressure switch but it never changes or switches off. We have constant (but low ) pressure in the house when the power is on.

How can i get water to go into the tank (or is it probably just clogged pipes into the bladder and needs replacing)

thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
The symptoms are consistent with a system designed to start the pump at 30 or 40 PSI or below, and to turn off the pump once the pressure has risen 20 pounds higher than the start pressure. Your pressure tank would have an air precharge set two pounds to 4 pounds lower than the start pressure. So the tank would stay empty with only 22 psi.

Then your pump is not able to develop more than 22 PSI of pressure, either because the pump is bad or there is something clogged up.

If you have a 1 pipe jet pump, you could probably clean the jet yourself. If you have something else, you would want a pump company to fix it. I am surprised that your well service company did not check before leaving. I wonder if I misunderstood what happened to the casing.

jeff Mc

Reaction score
thanks. it did seem low to me from the well too.. there was a lot of sand coming up from the pump so its reasonable to think there is a clogged area

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sand is abrasive, most pumps use plastic impellors, so it's possible the sand ate up the pump.

Simple to diagnose with a gauge, tee and valve

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The symptoms are consistent with a system designed to start the pump at 30 or 40 PSI or below, and to turn off the pump once the pressure has risen 20 pounds higher than the start pressure. Your pressure tank would have an air precharge set two pounds to 4 pounds lower than the start pressure. So the tank would stay empty with only 22 psi.

Then your pump is not able to develop more than 22 PSI of pressure, either because the pump is bad or there is something clogged up.

If you have a 1 pipe jet pump, you could probably clean the jet yourself. If you have something else, you would want a pump company to fix it. I am surprised that your well service company did not check before leaving. I wonder if I misunderstood what happened to the casing.

If the well has just been serviced and the installer didn't even check to see if the pump would build enough pressure to shut off, call them back and make them do their job correctly.

jeff Mc

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. We did change the pressure tank (no effect) and it turns out the deep well pump was gone and only pumping 22 as suggested. I agree the well company should have checked when they did the work.

I have a question. the new pressure switch we installed is 30/50 but which should one use, 20/40 or 30/50? thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
30/50 presuming the pump is able to pump to cutoff readily and presuming that your electricity is not unusually expensive. Many appliances expect 30 psi or more.

I would start the air precharge at 27 and drop that to 26 if the water pressure glitches at times when the pump kicks on. If you are glitch-free at 28, then leave it there, but since the jet pump takes longer to deliver pressure, the 27 may be called for. It is not a critical thing. The glitch is not harmful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks