Black sediment coming from Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

accord91

Reaction score
I'm on well water. I have a Rainsoft Silver Series water softener. It has been working okay for the past 5 years. A couple months ago the control valve got stuck and I had to get it serviced. It has been working fine again for a couple of months. Last week I notice black sediment when I turned on my bath water. It was coming from the cold water. I left the water on for a couple minutes and it didn't clear up. After some trouble shooting I notice that if I bypass the Water Softener, the water will clear up. I did a manual regeneration. I turned on the bath water and I'm still getting black sediment from the cold water. (I didn't want to try the hot water, because I didn't want the sediment going into the water heater). As soon as I bypass the Water softener, the water would clear up.

The Salt tank is clean and has clear water and salt. Can it be that sediment might have just got into the Soften tank? Can I flush it out? I thought regenerating it would clear it out, but it didn't, should I do more manual regenerations? Is my Resin bad?

Thanks in advance
Paul

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does the sediment that you talk about feel like sand or have no feel if put between thum and finger?

accord91

Reaction score
They don't really have any feel when I rub them with my fingers. They also seem to stain the tub for a second. I really need to scrub it to remove the dark stains.

I don't think they are resin beads. I've never seen resin, but I from the pictures on the internet, they don't look like that.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like a few extra cleanings of the softener, some iron out with the salt.. it might be some Mn that is coming loose from the resin and going into the water stream.

If it has no feel then that takes out the resin, sand.. is there a rotten egg smell to the water with or with out the softener?

accord91

Reaction score
There is a slight smell of Sulphur (rotten egg) smell. Its not too strong. Its in both hot and cold water.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would my self go with some extra cleanings with iron out or chlorine in the brine tank... at least 6 hours between the cleaning end times... sounds like the sulphur is finally coming off the resin... and some extra cleanings might end the sediment that you are seeing ...

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
The black sediment is likely from manganese in your water combined with improper settings--inadequate backwash and/or not regenerating frequently enough. You should also either be using a salt with an additive for iron or regularly add Iron Out.

I suggest you increase the backwash time and then do two manual regenerations. See if that resolves your problem. If it does not then decrease the time between regenerations by a day, do two manual regenerations and then see if that resolves the problem.

Here is a link to the manual for your system that shows how to change settings:

http://www.rainsoftnefl.com/SilverSeries.pdf

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks