Black pipe / gas piping installation - tightness vs direction

Users who are viewing this thread

BobsDIY

Reaction score
Hi there

I am about to replace/reroute the gas lines inside my house. I've also successfully done the copper, the pvc, am getting inspections, etc...

For the gas, I plan on using 1", 3/4", and 1/2" black pipe from the big box and ideally don't have to cut and thread anything. I tend towards overthinking, asking questions, over-planning, and then going slowly, and things generally come out okay.

Here is my current over-thought...

Let's say I am installing a tee - after completing the tightening, of course I need the side outlet oriented in a specific direction. Is there that much play between tight enough and too tight that I can rotate the tee almost a complete turn after it is "tight enough" so that the outlet ends up in the right direction? How does one deal with this?

Thanks
Bob

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Unless that Gas is Air, You should not be playing with it. :eek:

Good luck.

BobsDIY

Reaction score
Unless that Gas is Air, You should not be playing with it. :eek:

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. However, I'm not playing with it. I'm also doing quality work, have a tenths gauge, patience, and trust my work over many contractors out there that I've used in the past, present company excepted.

Stuff

Reaction score
I plan on using 1", 3/4", and 1/2" black pipe
Just from that statement it appears to me as though you haven't thought enough about it, asked enough questions, or planned it out enough.

You need to bone up on the basics before you start looking at the specifics. What I mean is that you need to understand natural gas piping theory before you implement.

It's not rocket science but you do have to spend some time learning.

BobsDIY

Reaction score
Just from that statement it appears to me as though you haven't thought enough about it, asked enough questions, or planned it out enough.

You need to bone up on the basics before you start looking at the specifics. What I mean is that you need to understand natural gas piping theory before you implement.

It's not rocket science but you do have to spend some time learning.

Thanks
Maybe listing the sizes is a moot point.

So you guys clearly know what you're doing - what are your thoughts on the question?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Generally, you can keep going to get things aligned where you want them.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Since all the pipe comes from overseas now, you should plan on doing some cutting and threading. The quality of the factory threads is commonly not good enough, and it needs to be cut off and rethreaded.

BobsDIY

Reaction score
Since all the pipe comes from overseas now, you should plan on doing some cutting and threading. The quality of the factory threads is commonly not good enough, and it needs to be cut off and rethreaded.

That stinks. Trying not to buy a whole setup to thread pipe. TBD. I am going to ensure all threads are visually perfect, capped, and protected on the way home. I realize that US Steel quality is much higher than Asian countries' steel. Mueller Proline (Lowes) comes from Mexico according to some small notations I found, though I am not clear on their quality. Anyway, seems like threading is the real problem since the garbage pipe can be recut and threaded.

iccsafe.org is down right now so I will have to look into this option later.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most CSST flexible pipe can ONLY be sold lto people who are ceritfied to install it, and after it is installed it MUST be bonded to prevent lightning strike failure.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
FWIW, the CSST pipe sold at HD has a self-certification pamphlet that you are supposed to read, study, and then register before you can legally buy the stuff. Certainly not the best way to learn from a pamphlet, but if you are mechanically inclined and have good skills, it's possible to do it right.

BobsDIY

Reaction score
FWIW, the CSST pipe sold at HD has a self-certification pamphlet that you are supposed to read, study, and then register before you can legally buy the stuff. Certainly not the best way to learn from a pamphlet, but if you are mechanically inclined and have good skills, it's possible to do it right.

I actually picked up the Flex-Pro instruction book from Lowe's today with the certification card in the back that one sends in. I'm going to call the company tomorrow, then decide which way to go. I'm a bit skeptical on the "new" technology circa 1989. Not that it has any factual basis at all but neither necessarily do prospective home buyers' skepticism in the future. Tbd. Anyway, great input everybody - shout out to country bumpkin and jadnashua. Thanks so much. Will post updates and decisions.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know how it is in Reston, VA, but in my city, a homeowner who works on his gas lines must pull a permit. The city inspector will look at the work and examine it, will run a 2 day pressure test, before approving the work. If he finds faults he will fail you and tell you to hire a licensed plumber.

I'm sure you feel you are competent, but check with your bldg dept before you start.

You may be able to find an easy plumber who will do labor only and share the work load with you, if you want to save some money.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Almost anywhere requires a building permit to do gas work, at least in the USA!

BobsDIY

Reaction score
Almost anywhere requires a building permit to do gas work, at least in the USA!

Yeah - I'd mentioned in my very first sentence that I am getting inspections - due to my having pulled permits. They are hanging in my window.

Anyway, I plan on running pressure tests before the inspector comes out, fixing any problems, and if it becomes too difficult, I will bring in a real plumber. There are some good guys nearby who know their stuff, and have been generous with helpful information.

Last edited:

BobsDIY

Reaction score
I don't know how it is in Reston, VA, but in my city, a homeowner who works on his gas lines must pull a permit. The city inspector will look at the work and examine it, will run a 2 day pressure test, before approving the work. If he finds faults he will fail you and tell you to hire a licensed plumber.

I'm sure you feel you are competent, but check with your bldg dept before you start.

You may be able to find an easy plumber who will do labor only and share the work load with you, if you want to save some money.

Here is how it is in Reston wrt testing. Two days where you are?
This is a clip from 2012 Virginia code

pressure_testing.png

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
They better because you don't get any do overs with gas.

Doing over the whole house is not good.

In the day, all we had to test for a leak was a match.

It was safe as long as you did not have a leak. :eek:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Let me comment on "test duration".

A tiny little leak needs 24 hours to be noticeable.

The inspector makes two visits: first day to read the test gauge, second day to read it again. That's two days, if everything is cool.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the test pressure will rise and fall slightly throughout the day with temperature changes.

Also, in my limited experience, the first leak is always at the test guage ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks