best electric heat source for chalet home?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nailmama76

Reaction score
Im in '70s challet lake home, built originally, as a lake/summer home, but Im in it, all year round, (tho, its not well insulated,& is covered 85%, in front, by windows & glass doors. It has baseboard electric heat in 3 bedrooms, but main open floor plan's heat source was its originally installed hot forced air heaters ( total-1 on each side of main area), meant to heat living/ dining rooms, kitchen, loft, & hallway. Both units broke over winter, &from 1974, parts are not available for fixing. I can't have a wood stove due to rental ins. co's rules & must replace by fall. Should I go w/ another hot forced air system, to fill in old ones, or is there something else that may heat home better than they did? It must be electric & I'm afraid baseboards won't be strong enough for the size & height of main area.

Reach4

Reaction score
How cold does it get?

A ductless split system is probably what you want. They are more efficient than resistance heat if the outside temperature is high enough. Mitsubishi is the top brand, but maybe some other will be more cost-effective.

They have systems with a single compressor and multiple heat outlets. They can be zone controlled.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Location/climate is important when considering heat pump options, and without a reasonable estimate of the amount of heat needed at the 99th percentile temperature bin for your location it's impossible to say whether the baseboards would cut it on their own or not, or how big the new systems need to be.

Heat pumps in 2014 are WAY better than what was available in 1974, even in colder areas. Ductless heat pumps are even more efficient, if sized correctly. Knowing whether a noo-fangled Mitsubishi is the right solution here depends on a whole lot of particulars not yet in evidence, and sizing it right requires at least some napkin-math.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I like a Girl with meat on her bones.

A fat lady is great when it gets cold.

I know, I am not right.

DonL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks