Bathtub drain stopper for 1959 tub

Users who are viewing this thread

bbruck

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a tip-toe or push-pull drain stopper for my 1959 tub. The problem is that the screen is held in with a 3/16 bolt, not what seems to be the standard 3/8 or 5/16.

Any leads as to whether anyone makes such an animal?

Many thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have to change the "drain plug", the chrome ring that the stopper goes into, to one that has the standard bolt. Your bolt is only intended to fasten the perforated screen that fits over the drain opening.

bbruck

Reaction score
Thank you HJ. If you don't mind another question... Is this something I can do from topside (i.e. inside the tub) by unscrewing the chrome ring the stopper goes into, or is this something that would need to be done from the underside of the tub?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you are lucky, and most times you would be, it unscrews from inside the tub. IF it does not turn fairly easily, then I would "cut it out", also from inside the tub, but that is not always a DIY job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks