Basic faucet install

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by lotsoleaks, Mar 22, 2007.

1. lotsoleaks

lotsoleaks New Member

Ok, this should be easy. I've installed faucets before in my house but have always used the plastic water supply lines. This time I'm using the copper/chrome lines to a new faucet. It is leaking where the lines connect to the faucet, does there need to be something plastic or something between the two b/c it's metal on metal?? I've cranked it pretty tight and it still leaks.

Thanx
  2. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Get some flex supply lines, either nylon or braided metal. They won't leak.
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

Get the braded stainless steel supply lines and forget the plastic ones.

Be sure you don't get the plastic braded stainless looking supply lines they sell at HD.

That is quite the scam someone came up with. Sell plastic and make it look like stainless steel.
  4. lotsoleaks

lotsoleaks New Member

Ok guys, that ain't very helpful. I don't want the plastic or braided b/c it's a pedestal sink and the lines will show. You see the chrome lines all over the place and they don't leak:confused:
  5. kordts

kordts In the Trades

Well,
    my advice is to remove the leaking speedy and redo it. Make sure you use a wrench and a holdback. Put a little dope or oil on the head of the speedy.
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

If this is the one that, for lack of a better word, looks like a ball on top, those are metal to metal. Make sure it goes into the faucet shank straight.
  7. miranda12

miranda12 New Member

Use some teflon tape?
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

NO TAPE. Tape is used to seal tapered threads...the ones in those connectors are not tapered. The threads apply pressure to the curved bits, and they make the seal. As noted, if it isn't inserted fully and square to the opening AND tightened enough, but not too much, it will seal just from the metal to metal joint.
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

joint

You will discover that you have to tighten that connecton as much as you can.