Basic 12/2 20 amp Questions - Just making sure

Users who are viewing this thread

J Blow

Reaction score
I'm working on a basement build - specifically a bedroom/closet right now. I'm using 12/2 wire with a 20 amp breaker and thinking I can do this all on one circuit. I'll end up with 8 outlets and 2 lights total.

My plan is to come from the box with a single wire and run through 7 outlets and then to a light from the 7th outlet. From the light I'll run to the last outlet and then finally to the other light. None of the outlets will be switched.

Can anyone see how this would be problematic using the 12/2 wire...or anything else? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It works...but, depending on the code cycle you are in, you may need arc fault circuit interrupter and maybe GFCI as well. GFCI is often needed in a basement, and AFCI for a bedroom. FWIW, if you run 12/3, you could have two circuits with a double-pole circuit breaker, but a bedroom normally would not need anywhere near that amount of power available. Check out the conduit fill thread for a little bit of background.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks