Basement XPS insulation gaps

Users who are viewing this thread

drx006

Reaction score
Ok thanks. My wife will be glad to hear that. She wants to leave it as it is and seal with Mastic. So the 2 inch deep space doesn't factor in the cubic inches calculation? Just the 1/8 inch gap width x 8 foot height? It's amazing the detail that needs to be addressed rather than just throwing up some walls. Glad I found this site. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The volume/cubic inches don't matter. The surface area (square inches) presented to each side of the assembly is what matters most for both heat & moisture transfer. (R-value is 1 divided the U-value, and U-value is denominated BTUs per hour square-foot per degree-F, permeance is denominated in grains per hour per square foot per inch of mercury vapor pressure difference. The volume of the material doesn't matter.)

If the gaps were wider, lets say an inch or more the model of convection within that mini-cavity gets more complicated and the effective-R would be lower, but in a narrow crack like that it can't convect as much. But if the gaps were that wide they'd be worth filling too, eh?

pex006

Reaction score
Hi I recently made this post, but was unable to log in under my old user name, but I had another question. I haven't been able to do anything with the gaps yet, but am getting around to it now. I saw a Expanded Polystyrene Sill Sealer at my local hardware store. Could I cut 2 inch strips and place it in the gaps to seal them or would I still need something like a BG44 this at the very front just behind the shiplap? Would it be ok that it is Expanded Polystyrene sandwiched between Extruded Polystyrene? Here are some links to the products.

http://greenguard.pactiv.com/residential.aspx?sill-sealer.sill-sealer
http://www.conservationtechnology.com/building_gaskets.html BG44.gif

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
It's fine to sandwich those materials in, if you like- they're quite chemically compatible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks